Twenty-One

Thomas shook his head. "You have no proof. I don't have a mother". He was in complete denial.

"Proof? You want proof?", the crazy-haired lady reached into her pocket. "Look at this! Look at this, look here. It's a picture of me and your father, on our wedding day", she handed the picture over. "See? I was pregnant with you".

Thomas carelessly took the picture, but then stopped. It was like looking into a mirror. Well, almost. The man in the picture was definitely many years older than he was.

The picture moved- like a video playing. There was a woman in a dress, a younger version of the woman in front of them. She was holding hands with a man, and she was also very clearly pregnant. They were both laughing happily.

"Woah, Tommy. That looks scarily like you", Newt commented from behind him. And it was true, he did.

Thomas turned over the sheet of paper, to the back. There was writing there.

Stephen and Lora Martinez-Cunningham. Who?

"You were named after your father", the woman- Lora?- told them. "I am so, so sorry, Stephen. I really, really am".

Thomas was shocked to find a tear running down his cheek. He lifted a hand and wiped it away. "Are you really telling me the truth? Because I swear, if this is some cruel prank-".

"No! No, no, it's not. I haven't seen you since you were five years old! I wanted- I needed you in my life! I'm telling you the complete truth".

It was then Thomas collapsed. He was crying, hard, now. He dropped the paper, covering his face with his hands. He sobbed uncontrollably.

Newt fell to the floor as well, desperately trying to console his friend. Thomas looked up at the woman again. His vision was blurred, but he needed to confirm something. "What was the name of the company?".

"WICKED. It was called WICKED".