Twenty-six

Newt's POV

Newt's heart was racing. What was the headmaster going to say? Was he going to agree with Thomas mother, and send him away?

Lora, although behind the two, walked confidently down the halls. She clearly knew her way around Hogwarts.
Just then, Newt spotted Minho. He was talking to Ron and Hermoine, his back to them. Newt attempted to get his friend's attention, but caught Ron's instead. He pointed to Newt, and both Minho and Hermoine turned around to look

As they passed, Newt grabbed hold of Minho wrist, pulling him along. Minho didn't question it, he could tell that something was off.

Minho glanced at the woman, then looked back at Newt. "Who's that?".

The three boys walked in a curvy line, they were all connected in some way. Newt pulled Minho's wrist down, whispering in his ear. "That's Tommy's mother".
"That's Thomas's what?".

Newt pulled Minho sharply down again, telling him to shut the bloody hell up.
Thomas obviously heard his outburst, but he didn't look back. He kept his head up, now they only had one more hallway toll the Head's office.

The four finally made it. Minho was beyond confused, and Thomas let go of Newt's hand.
The big stone gargoyle was in the way of the door. "Shuck it", Thomas muttered. "What's the password again-".
"Sherbert lemon", said Lora loudly. And the gargoyle moved.

Thomas went in first. The other two were about to follow him, but Lora stopped them. "No. This is between me and my son".

"Hey, listen, I don't know who the kljnk you think you are, but we're going in there and supporting our friend", Minho shot back.
Newt looked over at Thomas. "Do you want us in there, Tommy? Because if you need us, we'll be right by your side".

Thomas stood. "I do want you in there", he said, "But...maybe this is just between us", he looked doubtful.
"Thomas, you don't need to go in there alone-".
"Be said what he wanted to do", Lora interrupted Minho. Newt continues to look at his friend. "We'll wait just out here, okay? We won't leave".

Thomas nodded, and then he and Lora left their sight.

Minho grabbed Newt's arm. "You are going to tell me everything".

    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Newt explained everything to his friend in great detail, from the moment they heard the 'Stephen' cries, to now.

Minho stayed silent throughout the whole thing, listening. "Holy shuck", he whispered. "You think she's telling the truth?".
Neet nodded. "Well, I mean, she had that picture", he sighed. "The dude looked exactly like Tommy. It's still in the tower".

"Yeah, what were you two doing in the tower, anyway?", asked Minho, a hint of suspicion in his voice.
"We were just talking", Newt replied.
"Did anything...happened up there?".
"What's that supposed to mean?".

Minho stared at Newt. "Well, I just wondered what you two were doing all the way up there".
"Talking", Newt said, again.
"But what were you doing before the woman arrived?".
"Talking!". Newt didn't understand why he was getting so defensive. Minho was getting on his nerves.

Minho held up his hands. "Alright, alright. I'm sorry", he said.
"It's okay".

They both sat in silence. Both wondering what was happening inside the office.