Forty- One

Newt

Newt rested his head against the window. His breath caused the glass to fog up, distracting him from the bumpy road. They had been travelling for about three hours now. He checked his watch constantly, the same one he'd had from the Glade. And each time he checked, time seemed to be moving slower and slower.

He let out a sigh. His leg was killing him. Newt hadn't told anyone, but that morning, he had tripped down the enchanted stairs. He had been trying to catch up with the rest of the Hufflepuffs, but accidentally slid down multiple steps in doing so. When his friends asked why he was limping more than usual, Newt replied that he had simply slept on it funny.

The time read 12:11pm. The car was heating up. Newt twisted his wrist so that Thomas could see the time. Thomad looked, and then leant his head on the headrest behind him.

"Alright, I need to stop for gas", Lora announced to the backseat. "I'll pull in to the next station, you guys can get something to eat. Minho made his hand into a fist, a victory sign. Newt placed the tip of his four fingers onto his thumb, subtly placing it to his mouth. The sign for food.

Twenty minutes later, Lora pulled into a fuel station. Minho unbuckled his seatbelt, getting out of the car before the ignition was even turned off. He was just about to walk through the entrance to the shop's door when he turned around sheepishly. "Um, I uh, need some money"

Lora laughed, reaching into the centre console, pulling out some loose change as Minho thanked her.
"Wait for us", Thomas said, getting out as well. Newt was last to leave, but gratefully stretched his legs.

The three boys rushed inside the cool air conditioned shop, grabbing whatever food they laid their eyes on. "Wait", said Thomas, "how much do we have?"
Minho looked down at the change. "Um, eight"
Once they had decided what to buy, the three paid and walked back outside. Newt hesitated before getting back in the car, rubbing his leg.

"You okay?", Thoams asked.
"Hm? Yeah"
"What's the matter?"
Newt didn't like to be self- centred. "Slept on my leg funny, is all"- it was his own fault his stupid leg hurt, he could suck it up.

Thomas raised an eyebrow at his friend. He opened the door for Newt. "Get into the middle seat", he said.
"Why?"
"So that you can rest your leg on the armrest between the seats"

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Thomas

It was surprisingly dark for seven PM. Newt was sleeping on Thomas's shoulder. They had had several stops along the way, but they were finally coming up to their stop- a small motel called the Glen Capri (Teen Wolf anyone??).

Lora pulled into the parking lot, and after waking Newt up, the boys scrambled out of the car. While Lora was checking in, Thomas saw Newt stumble and toppled into the ground. He rushed over. "What happened?"
"Sorry, Tommy. Bloody leg gave out, I'm alright"

Thomas looked around for Minho, spotting him kicking a vending machine. Thomas put Newt's arms around his shoulders. "Here, I got you"
"I feel so useless"
"You're not. Your leg's just a bit stiff, no big deal"

Minho spotted his friends and joined in helping Newt stay upright. "You alright?" He asked him, to which Newt simply nodded.

Lora came back with the keys to their room. "Number 250, upstairs", she said.

Oh, great. Upstairs.

They walked over to the metal staircase. "I know what you're thinking. I'm fine, I can handle the stairs. I'm not a child", said Newt, but he made no effort to pull away from his friends.

"Oh, yeah?" Thomas brushed Minho's arm away, before lifting the blonde into the air, bridal style.

"Tommy! Thomas, put me down!" Newt cried, as Thomas laughed.
"We would have been here all night if you tried going up these stairs on your own"
"Put me down. I mean it! Thomas!"
"Who's Thomas?", he started on the first step.

"Thomas, maybe I should do that-"
"Calm down, Minho, I got this. Newt is incredibly light"
Thomas continued up the stairs, much to Newt's annoyanced. "I swear, drop me and you're dead"
  "Newt, would ya stop whining?"

Thomas made it to the top of the stairs without any difficulty, while Lora unlocked their room. "Alright, we're at the top. You can out me down"

Ignoring Newt entirely, Lora held the door open for Thomas, who dropped Newt into the crisp white duvet. Newt folded his arms. "That was unnecessary, Tommy", he said.

Thomas grinned. "I think the phrase you're looking for is "thank you". But I'm glad we're back to Tommy".

"Dibs on the pull out couch!" Minho cried, jumping onto the grey couch. Thomas looked around the room: two double beds, one was already full of Lora.

Thomas turned to Newt. "Guess we're sharing for the night"