Twenty-eight

"I thought it wa a good thing your mom would be working here? You said you didn't have a great relationship with her?", said Harry, as he was getting ready to go to dinner.

Thomas lay flat in his back, his hands rested in his chest, staring up at the ceiling.
"Maybe you should just leave us?", Minho said. He didn't say it in a mean way, and luckily, Harry didn't take the comment to heart. "You guys coming to eat?".

Minho continued to reply for Thomas. "No, we're fine. You go ahead".
Harry nodded awkwardly. He didn't understand why Thomas wa so upset. It's a good thing to see your mother wo often, right? Especially after Thomas had said that he hadn't seen his family in a really long time.

Minho was sitting on a chair in the left of the room. As Harry left, he glanced over to his friends.
Newt was kneeling on the floor, against the bed, his head resting on his arm. He was holding Thomas's hand, stroking his friend's fingers with his thumb. But he didn't say anything.
None of them did.

They all sat there in silence for a while. Thomas was thinking to himself.
I can't believe that this is happening.
I don't even remember her.
So?
Is she going to try and build some sort of a relationship?
Do I want that?

Thomas continued to stare up. Was this all a good thing?
Oh, shuck. Am I being too selfish?
Maybe I am. The others would've killed to meet their parents. Are they sad? Right now? Do they think I'm being too dramatic?

"I'm sorry, you guys", said Thomas. Newt stayed in his position, but furrowed his eyebrows together. "For what, Tommy?".
"I know it's not fair. I should be more grateful, she's my mother...".

"Thomas, stop", Minho said. "So it didn't go the way you wanted it to. So what?".
"Yeah, he's right", Newt agreed. "Who's to say us meeting our family would've been any better?". But both boys had sadness in their voices.

"I'll make an effort to be nice to her, how's that? I just don't know how I feel about it all".

Newt nodded, his head still on his arm. "I think that that's a good idea, Tommy. Just please don't leave with her, okay?".
Thomas laughed quietly. "I won't".

"So, is your actual name Martinez- whatever?", asked Minho.
"I suppose so. I don't know how I feel about that, either. All I know is that o didn't have the energy to see her tonight". Luckily, Gryffindor didn't have Muggle Studies till Wednesday.

"Yeah, it's alright. Just go at your own pace".
"Yeah".

They all say in silence once more. Newt sighed sleepily into his arm.
"You alright?", Thomas asked. The majority of the day, everyone had been focused in him. He wanted nothing more than to shift the spotlight.

"Yeah. I just didn't expect today's events at all".
The brunette laughed. Who did?".