Twenty-three

Newt's POV

Newt lowered his head, again. Why was it fair that Thomas got to know about his past, but he didn't? He didn't even know who he was, anymore.
He had gone years holding on to the singular fact that he could at least remember his name. But now that was a lie, too.

He used to be okay, not remembering. Well, not okay, but content. But now this woman was here, telling Thomas all about his past life.
How was that even fair?

Still, he continued to try and console his friend. Thomas took in a breath. "What, now? What's going to happen? I don't want anymore change, not again".
Lora bit the inside of her cheek. "I haven't seen you for over a decade. Can I at least hug you?".

Thomas looked up, then shook his head. "No. I- I don't know who you are. I'm sorry".
"Stop apologising", Newt told him firmly. It was silly to feel guilty at a time like this. Newt once again straightened out his leg.

The pain was always there, sure. Even in the Glade. But it was a numbing pain then, not one that bothered him all too much.
But ever since putting so much pressure on it, escaping, disregarding all agony as he fought to get out, his leg had been giving him much more trouble.

Lora moved closer to the two boys. "I came all this way, Ste- Thomas", she said his name like there was a bad taste in her mouth. "I've been searching for as long as I can remember. I want you to come hom with me".

         . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Both Thomas and Newt's head snapped up. Thomas's mouth was open. "What?".
"Especially now that you're old enough", the woman continued. "You'd be able to fight against the Flare".

Newt desperation wrapped his arms around Thomas. "No! Don't leave, Tommy!". He wouldn't be able to handle it if Thomas was ripped away from him.
Thomas grasped his hands. "Don't worry, I'm not going anywhere".

Newt, from behind Thomas, shoved his head into the back of his friend's neck. He couldn't go, he couldn't leave. Not when they were here, not after everything.

He and Thomas had grown close. They were there for each other, they cared for each other.
Ever since the Glade, they had always been by one- another's side. It couldn't change now.

Newt was scared that he was going to be all alone, once again.