Chapter 22

Some of the drivers had gone out drinking for the night, including those who had come in the top 3 positions of the race earlier on today. Whilst the others were out partying, Daniel and Lando had decided to stay in the hotel alongside a few of the others who wanted a bit of a rest as it had been a busy day. Due to Daniel and Lando not joining the rest, they invited me and Lily to Daniel's room for a little movie marathon so that we all had something to entertain us for the night.

The movie marathon didn't end up being a movie marathon as we all spoke with each other as soon as we started the first movie. Lily told both of them that there was a high chance that we were probably going to be joining them in Australia and Daniel's smile was a picture as he got excited at us mentioning his home countries race. Obviously I still had to confirm that this was doable with my maman before I could 100% say that I would be joining, which is why Lily didn't say we were definitely going.

We continue to talk about Australia and all the GP's ahead of the boys throughout all of the first movie and through the start of the second. The movie marathon had just turned into a bit of a social club as none of us paid attention to the movies, they were background noise rather than something any of us were watching.

Whilst I was reminded to speak to my maman from this conversation, I decided it would be best to do it now as I remembered. I excused myself from the room and into the hallway so that I could call my maman without her having to near the noise of the movie in the background. IT rang through a few times but I soon heard her voice on the other side.

"Hello, hello, ma belle fille" she said as soon as she picked up. It would've been the middle of the afternoon for my parents at the moment, which meant I wasn't having to interrupt her sleep for this call.

"Hi maman, I need to check with you about something" I said, waiting for her reply to come through the device I was holding against my ear as I looked down the hallway at the elevator, watching the numbers go up and down on the mini screen above it.

"And what is it you need to check?" she asked me.

"Me and Lily were on about going to the Australian GP, but I didn't want to agree to it if it would affect work-"

"What have I told you Alena" she interrupted me as soon as I mentioned the word work "you need a break from work and I don't care how long that break is, as long as its not a year long then you can do as you please my dear." I was about to respond but then she began to speak again "take the week off and if you come back after next weekend so that you stay updated with everything then if you are enjoying these GP weekends then take them off, your still young and you need to be involved with things you enjoy"

Parents don't really tell you what to do when you get to this age because you are over 18 and legally your an adult, who makes your own decisions, but my maman knew what she was on about and I listened to her. I did enjoy these GP weekends and I enjoyed the people that were included in them so I needed to find a balance so that I could attend as many as possible.

"Thank you maman" I thanked her because she always knew what made me happy but also kept me grounded whenever she spoke to me. She never disregarded me having responsibilities of work as she understood that I cared about it and obviously she and my papa brought me up to care about it but she also prioritised my well being and enjoyment and I loved her dearly for it.

"Anytime, now go enjoy yourself and I will see you when you are back"

"Okay, bye maman" I said and ended the phone on her before re-entering Daniels room, where he, Lando and Lily were all laughing at something on Lando's phone.

As I made my way back over, Lando immediately insisted I saw what it was that they all found incredibly funny, that funny to the point Lily had tears forming in her eyes. When he turned the screen to face me I saw Pierre's face on the screen and he clearly looked intoxicated as his eyes were glossy and his cheeks were a light shade of pink. He himself was nearly in tears laughing and as he saw me on the screen he gave me a big wave with the hand that wasn't holding the phone, to which I waved back and still felt confused as I hadn't seen what everyone was laughing at.