17) NALINI~ bittersweet sadness

I laid down, turning my back to him, my husband, Kabir. Heaviness that I almost thought disappeared increased. I sighed.
"By the way, it wasn't about the kiss Kabir. I just wanted to promise you that I'd never spout nonsense again, that could hurt you but I don't guarantee anything anymore. You're...." An asshole, a big stupid jerk who hurts me whenever you say the truth.

He ignored my words like I did. I knew he was probably reading his book just like any other night. I sighed. Everything reminded me of my mother's words. 'Don't spend your birthday working all day, ask Kabir to take you out on a date. Tell him to spoil you a little.'
Spoil me? He was ruining me in worse ways. All I expect from him is to not ruin my mood, to stick to one end. He lies somewhere in between yet I really cannot stop thinking about him. I pursed my lips in a thin line. I was the only one feeling things, and I am. I don't want to anymore, but the feeling of his lips against mine was still lingering somewhere.

My phone screen lit up again. I stretched my arm as I stared at the screen. It was Trisha. I smiled gently as I answered the call again. "Hello." I whispered and that's when I heard a loud Happy birthday song playing outside the door. I almost cried. My heart skipped a beat and the realisation hit me. No!

I sat up, not bothering about Kabir. I ran to the closet to hurriedly put on my pyjamas instead of these short-shorts. When I stepped out, Kabir had already unlocked the door. He had a confused and indifferent expression on his face. I smiled when I saw Trisha, Abhishek and Akshita standing there.

Tears welled in my eyes. My heart exploded and I fell to my knees. I covered my eyes with my palms as tears flooded down my eyes. Seeing Akshita after years made me realise how much I missed her. She had grown up in ways I never knew she did. She looked like a fucking adult and I couldn't take it. Maybe it was the sadness from earlier, or the loneliness but I couldn't take it along the surprise.

I inhaled the exact same perfume of Akshita like years ago. My heart crumbled in my chest when she hugged me. "Happy birthday didi." She whispered as she caressed my back. I hugged her so tightly.
"Akshita, thank god you're here. I fucking wanted to hug you for so long." I said and she pulled away, wiping my tears.

She made me get back on my feet as we stood up. I walked to Trisha and hugged her tightly as well and I would never forget Abhishek. "Thank-you." I smiled and Trisha guided me to my bed.
"Incomplete without a cake!" She said and I sighed. My eyes shifting to Kabir's gently and he had a subtle smile appearing on his face.

Akshita walked towards me. "Arre! Jiju, come forward. I will send a picture to mom. No wait, I facetime her." She pulled out her phone as Kabir walked towards me and took a seat beside me. He wiped the tear still on the edge of my eyes.
"Happy birthday." He whispered. I averted my eyes back to the cake.

I smiled when all of them started singing the happy birthday song along with Kabir's low voice and slow claps. I cut the cake, biting my lip. I was happy, for the people who made effort. For Trisha, Abhishek and mostly for Akshita. Mom didn't tell me she was coming, it was such a big surprise for me.

I cut the cake and picked up the piece, offering it to Kabir because I knew mom was watching. He took a bite before he made me share the same piece with him. I made sure everyone had a piece and I really loved the fudge chocolate base the cake had. I happily chummed on the cake like everyone else.

"Thankyou, seriously. It's my best birthday ever. I don't remember the last time this happened." I giggled thinking of it. I saw Kabir and Akshita were having a small-talk and I noticed how Kabir smiled at her and she had that same aloof expressions despite the happiness in her voice.

"Do you know di, you remember I told you about the internship thing I did when I was graduating? It was Jiju's company I did that job in. I didn't know I would meet him again. What a pure coincidence boss." She muttered and that's when I understood. They knew each other before I even married him. I was sure the American Kabir and the Shekhawat Kabir were two different personalities.