32) KABIR~ My Birthday

I smiled at the sound of my mother knocking on my room door early in the morning. It was my birthday. I had been looking forward to it. I loved celebrating birthdays since I always got my favourite gifts. I hurried out of my bed and opened the door for her and she was standing there with a big smile on her face. "Happy birthday Kabir." She smiled wide at me.

My parents were usually busy in their duties and I hated that but that made my birthday special. Since they always accompanied me for the whole day on birthdays. I hugged my mother and I heard my dad clearing his throat. He offered me a hand and I took it before I was pulled above his head. My skinny, lightweight body was easy to be lifted in his hands. I screamed in surprise. My cries mix of laughter and shock. He walked me to the bed and slowly dropped me off.

"Happy birthday Kabir." He said as he ruffled my hair. I grinned at them. "Thankyou. Where's my gift though?" I extended a hand forward. They both looked at each other before they looked at me. "We've something better than a gift." They said as they asked me to follow them. I did follow them and found myself inside a completely new room I hadn't seen before in the whole royal palace.

"We got you a personal Gym. Since you've been wanting to go to gym for so long." My father said. His voice holding a gentleness he usually lacked around his men. He was a man in power, Of-course he needed to be cold and void of his emotions. I was happy to see the gift I got. I had been passionate about building out of my skinny built. I was a normal teen after-all, an insecure teen.

I smiled. Always being grateful for what I got. "Thankyou Dad, thankyou Mom." I muttered lost in the beauty of the masculinity of that gym. It was all that I could wish for. At least my parents knew me enough. I turned my head towards my mom and I saw that look on her face.
"Kabir.. I have something to tell you." She looked at me. I stood tall, almost her height staring at her. My smile disappearing as my head took control of my thoughts.

"We have to leave today, your great-grandmother is not in a good health. We have to go see her now. We can't take you with us. But we've arranged a small party for you, Abhishek and Trisha. You can have fun. Uncle Chakraborty is here as well, tell him what you want, he will get you everything." She said in her calm, composed and subtle tone. Her tone that said she knew what she was talking about. Her tone that said she didn't really care what my decision was since she had taken one already.

I nodded my head. "I understand." I forced a smile. I had difficulty from day one expressing my emotions freely since the first thing you're taught as a royal is to hold back your emotions.
"You're growing up son." My dad patted my back.
"I love that you take after me." He added.

I wished I could express the disappointment in my heart. I wish I could tell him I did not want to take after him since it was so suffocating. It was so suffocating to not be me. It was so suffocating to not tell him that I felt so lonely. It was so suffocating to watch Abhishek and Trisha miss their parents like me.
.
.
.
.
.
.
I stepped in the garden and I spotted Abhishek and Trisha running towards me. Their mouths  agape as they screamed the happy birthday song. Trisha tripped and I ran to her, lifting her up. They were just 10. So annoying but still my siblings. The double trouble was a real thing. Abhishek laughed when Trisha started crying and their argument began again. Trisha ran after him to hit her while I just massaged my temples.

After a while three of us were seated on the ground with them circling around me. "We want a gift too." Abhishek said. I turned my head to look at the small guy who had a nerdy hair cut. It was always funny. He was cute since the beginning. I nodded my head. "What do you want?" I asked curiously.