16. Pete's Absence

VEGAS

I couldn't made up enough theories in my head because there was a mission that we need to accomplish. The mission was divided into two sub-missions. Our first sub-mission is quite simple. We only need to seize the goods arrived that will be sold to Don from the supplier.

The second sub-mission that will be started in the afternoon was more challenging. Pete played an important role in it. He was chosen by Pa and uncle Korn to deal with Don. I hate them for deciding that. If anything went south during the trade, Pete will be the enemy's first target.

I observed Pete, Porsche, and Arm meeting with Don from the lorry that I drove in. I couldn't hear the details of their conversation, but I can see from their expression and body that it started quite well. Although Porsche might have started the conversation too early before Pete is ready since Pete seemed a little bit flustered.

I stepped out of the vehicle to find a better place to get a clearer look. I decided to just observe from afar until I saw some changes in Don's expression while looking at Pete. That was when I started to be alert.

I saw Don was raising his hand to touch Pete and Pete was not even moving?! What the hell is wrong with him? Has he lose his sense to detect danger? He has been having panic attack in front of me at least twice, but he can stay calm in front of the real enemy? I somehow feel offended.

I saw Don was getting closer, so I immediately shot his right hand that was about to attack Pete. Our backup team started to attack Don and his people as well. I saw Pete was alone after Porsche left to cover another spot. He stayed there, still looking in dazed. I went closer to him.

"Are you crazy for just standing there while he was trying to attack you? He could have killed you!" I scolded him.

"He didn't..." Pete was about to say something, but the gun shooting from the other side screaming some backup was needed over there. "Focus! Let's talk later!" I quickly ran out from the hideout.

We didn't spoke to each other until we finished the mission and the night to celebrate our winning arrived. It is a tradition for minor family to always celebrate our successful mission.

This time, we are joined by few main family's bodyguard. When I told Pete, Porsche, and Arm to have fun, they seemed hesitate at first although now Porsche and Arm were clearly enjoying the party.

Pete was the total opposite. He sat at a table at the corner of the bar alone. I was about to go there when a few wasted women I guessed from other family partners were stopping me.

They were getting too close to me that I had no choice but to stop. These b*tches kept touching me and tried to kiss me until I get extremely annoyed and pushed them all away by taking out my gun to intimidate them.

By the time I was freed from those b*tches, Pete was already gone. I tried to look for him, but he was nowhere to be seen. Porsche and Arm were still partying. Even the main family vehicle was still here. I wonder where did he went alone, possibly by foot.

The next day, I went to the main family mansion at two o'clock in the afternoon to attend a small meeting to present our mission's rough report to uncle Korn. Porsche and Arm were there too, sometimes dozing off, still hadn't fully recover from last night party. The meeting ended after 30 minutes and Pete was still not here.

Why didn't anyone said anything about Pete's absence? I do not know who to ask until I met Khun while I was on my way to the main door. He is... of course, annoying as always.

"You! This is all your fault!" Khun was pointing his finger at me.

"Huh?"

"He didn't come home last night because of you."

"Who? Pete? Why is that my fault?" Apparently, he didn't come home last night. So, where the hell did he went?

"I don't know. I just have to blame someone for everything." Khun, this bastard. He shamelessly said that while folding his arms and looked away from me.

"What's with all the fuss?" Someone who was getting closer with us asked. It was Kim's voice. I wonder what made he came here? I mean... this is his home, but he had been living outside main family mansion alone for at least a year. Since then, I rarely saw him here unless there was a special occasion.

Another person came in from the main door. "Can I join the conversation too?" It was Dr. Top and he was followed by Pete. When I saw Pete, my body's fight or flight response almost made me wanted to jump forward to get near to him.

I peeked at Pete who was just standing besides Dr. Top, but at a little bit behind him. He was still wearing the outfit from last night, but looked cleaner. He seemed startled. Probably because of the present of a lot of the family members right now at in front of him.

Suddenly, Khun pushed me to the side to make way for him to hug Pete. "Oh Pete! I was about to call the police to report about your missing." He said. Still with his annoying tone, but sounded a little bit softer?

I looked at his expression. He was hugging Pete, but his eyes were looking at Dr. Top. Realization came to me. So, Khun has a crush on Dr. Top. I almost burst out a laugh, but got caught by Khun. He widened his eyes while looking at me. He released Pete.

"I didn't notice you leaving last night." To everyone's surprise, I started a conversation with Pete.

Pete seemed hesitant, but he answered anyway. He replied, "I did not feel well, so I left earlier. Sorry for not informing you beforehand, Khun Vegas."

I raised my eyebrow. "Left to where? With him?" I pointed at Dr. Top.

"No..."

"Then why didn't you come back here last night and only come back now, the day after, with him?" Let's see how will you answer this, Pete!

"He was at the family's hospital. Pete informed me, his boss." Kinn came out of nowhere, answering my questions for Pete. It annoys me wheb he emphasized the word 'boss'.

I looked at Pete and noticed a small patch at the back of his palm. He even received IV fluids? Was it that serious? Why didn't I realized it?

"Pete, you should go back to your room and rest. Just get back to work in two days." Kinn said to Pete.

"Then... I'll go now Khun Kinn, Khun Noo, Khun Kim, Khun Vegas, and Dr. Top." Pete excuse himself. I watched him until he was gone and went straight out of the mansion.