45. I Used to Live in the Present, but Not Anymore

VEGAS

"Khun Kinn gave me a mission."

"It is related to me." Not a question. Just a statement. I can see where will this going.

"And Porsche." Pete added. "Which is why I need to know what it is that you and Porsche are working on together."

"What is the mission about?" I asked Pete instead, ignoring his request in which responded by a grunted from him.

Despite being displeased by me not responding to his request, he still answers my question. He knew it that there was no use in covering. He will have to tell me eventually. "To break into your office. Find the evidence of the embezzlement done by the Minor family."

"To make sure Porsche is not on the list, to prove his innocence." I quickly added, which was then confirmed by a nod from Pete.

This was actually pissing me off. I scoffed while sarcastically adding, "No, actually, it is not to prove Porsche's innocence. It is to clear his own doubt."

"It is not only mean that he can't trust his lover..." I paused before continuing my sentence. "He even dared to drag you into his personal matter caused by his own insecurities."

Pete seemed quite shocked by my accuracy, addressing Kinn's real issue. In the meantime, he probably felt relieved as he didn't need to mention it himself.

It may not be shown from my expression, but I was fuming. I can't stop thinking this as Kinn using Pete for his own interest. I can't believe this is the same person people looked up into. They expect too much from him as the successor of the Theerapanyakul family.

As if I didn't notice the fact that the main family had been keeping Pete busy these few weeks causing me to not being able to meet him. Everytime I come to the mansion, most of the time, Pete will be out for his duties.

Pete never bothered to tell me anything about the duties he was involved in. I mean... it is not that Pete was entitled to tell me about them, but I need to at least be aware of the risks and the danger level of the missions he was involved in.

So, when Pete told me about this one particular mission, I knew there was something up with it.

"You are worried about something." I guessed, confirmed by Pete as he responded by nodding his head once.

"Although the circumstances are different, this is the same mission as the one when I got caught." Pete was playing with thebend of his shirt, expressing his worry. "I thought it was all over when we proved that it was all Tawan's doing."

"Last time, it was Tawan framing Porsche. This time, it is because of me. The root is the same. Porsche wants to investigate his family matters on his own because he thinks Kinn is hiding the truth from him and Kinn's own insecurities. Kinn needs solid evidence." I told Pete my own analysis.

I can't believe this Kinn person is the one I had to fight against this whole time. Also, the fact that he had control over Pete's life was just pissing me off. In the end, Porsche's act of impulse, Kinn's, and my own insecurities are the cause of Pete's trauma and suffering.

I promised myself not to let him go through all those bad things again. He will not go through all of that ever again. What concerned me was... I can protect him from myself, but not from others. Not from my father or others. Pete must not do this mission. He must avoid the Minor Mansion for this time being.

"You have a choice, you know. Decline the job. Just don't do it." I suggested, making him scoff.

"You make it sound so easy. It's not like I have any choice, you know."

"Of course you have. Call out sick, let someone else do it. Anything." I insisted.

"Khun Kinn trusted me. I can't betray him." Pete was talking nonsense. Trust? Did he not remember he was almost accused as a traitor by Kinn not too long ago? It seemed to me like Kinn was just taking advantage of Pete's loyalty and honesty for his own benefits.

Pete took his job too seriously, and his loyalty to the main family shall never be doubted. Even when he was being abused and assaulted, while being captured and even forgotten by his boss and so-called best friend, he still went back to the Main Family.

"Then, what is the point of you having to know what might happen in the future if you just follow the same path?" I may or may not have accidently provoked him by asking him this question because his eyes were looking at me, full of rage.

"You are the worst!" He was about to get away. Fortunately, I was faster. I got to hold his wrist first before he got out of my reach.

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said that." My expression and tone immediately soften. It took a while for Pete to respond. He took a deep breath to keep himself calm.

"I never asked for them, you know. I never wanted them." Pete sounded disappointed. "Do you even know what having those memories, knowing the future of the families, you, and myself meant to me? Do you know what I got from having to remember all these memories?"

Pete turned to face me. My hand still held him firm. He continued, "Although I am very sure you have guessed it right long ago when you asked me why I had to meet Dr. Top here a few months ago."

"And you still dare to tell me what to do with those memories. Well... It's not like there is anything you can do to help me anyway." Pete's cold expression was creeping me out that I subsconsciously let go of his wrist. Pete turned his body to face me and straightened up his posture.

"You asked when was the last time I have ever smiled genuinely. Maybe you are right. I am not like I used to be. I am not used to overthinking and getting scared over how my little action can affect the future. I used to live in the present, but not anymore."