20. The Pawn

PETE

I wonder if I did the right thing by telling him about the time travelling thing and the fact that he'll die. I mean... of course everyone is going to die, but not everyone will experience an unnatural death. He will probably be more aware of his surrounding by knowing this fact.

After eating my favourite dishes at my favourite restaurant, Vegas sent me home with Nop as the driver. I asked them to just drop me off at the convenient store located about 10 minutes walking distance from the main family mansion.

As we arrived at the convenient store, I was thinking if I should say something to Vegas that would probably make him a little bit happy... or disgusted. But... Nop is here. I looked at Nop for few times to see if his attention is directed towards us at the back or elsewhere.

I guessed Vegas must have noticed my action, so he told me how much he trusted Nop and I should trust him too. Okay. Since you have said that...

"Goodbye, Vegas." I bit my farewell to him, deliberately left the 'khun' behind. He looked dazed, so I immediately get off of the car, not waiting for his reply. I walked towards the main family mansion's direction without looking back.

I went in using the same door I used to get out. Right after I entered the mansion, someone called me out from behind, startled me.

"You were out? I thought you were sick." It was Ken. Why was he always be the one who caught me doing anything red-handed.

"Yeah. I just want to get some fresh air." I made an excuse.

"In a car?" Shit. Did he saw me earlier?

"What?" I asked him, innocently while trying to think of any other rational scenarios to answer him.

"I saw you get off of an expensive car. Who's car was that?" He stepped forward to get closer to me. "Isn't that a mi..."

"PETE!!!!!" Khun Noo's voice came out of nowhere, calling my name causing Ken to step backwards after hearing it. I let out a breath of relieved. I almost forgot how to breath because of Ken. Khun Noo rescued me again.

Khun Noo appeared out of nowhere with Arm and Pol following from behind. Arm and Pol seemed surpised to see me.

Khun Noo pulled me closer to him. "Pete, you told me you will be out only for a short while, but it has been forever!"

Then, his attention shifted to Ken that was just standing there, puzzled. "What are you doing here?" Khun Noo asked Ken. He didn't really care about Ken's reply. Even before Ken replied, Khun Noo continued, "Off you go."

Ken bow slightly to Khun Noo before left the place. I looked at Khun Noo, confused with what had just happened. I don't remember telling anyone about me leaving the mansion today. I looked at Khun Noo in surprised. My eyes widened. Is he from another universe as well? A tie traveller? Just like me?!

"Why are you looking at me like that?" Khun Noo hit my head causing me to instantly looked down and closed my eyes. My hand touched the spot Khun Noo just hit.

"Why are you with him? He brings bad luck. My fortune teller told me to stay away from everyone with name starts with letter K." He continued. Fortune teller? Huh! I must be insane to be thinking Khun Noo may be in the same situation as I am. Probably he was just always at the right place and at the right time.

"What about Khun Korn, Khun Kinn and Khun Kim then?" I refused to let this slide. My question causing Khun Noo to be silent to think for a moment. I guessed a realization just hit him.

"Pete, you idiot! They are my family. They are exceptions." Khun Noo raised his hand to hit me again, but he stopped before hitting me. "Why the hell all of their names start with K? I will have to make them change their names." Khun Noo walked away from me while Arm and Pol went after him.

I was left alone. I felt relieved because of Khun Noo's sudden appearances. I didn't know how to deal with Ken's suspicions. I should be careful whenever he is around. I should find out if he's already working with the minor family.

While I was walking, wanting to go back to my room, I came across Phi Chan whose seemed kind of irritated. "Pete!" He called me several times before I noticed him.

"You should always updated your wherebeing. Isn't this what had been taught to all main family's bodyguards?" He scolded me.

"Yes, while working. Today is my off day." I was brave enough to answer him. I respected Phi Chan as the head of minor family's bodyguards and a senior, but I could not bear myself being misunderstood as not being competent in my job. Besides, he should have been aware of me having a day off today.

It seemed like he had been looking for me for some time. "Khun Korn is looking for you." Phi Chan told me. I raised my eyebrows, showing some disapproval. I mean... it's my day off and I guessed without me realizing it, the information I read from Khun Gun's room did affected my respect towards Khun Korn.

I went to Khun Korn's office. He was too immersed in his chess game that he had been playing alone to notice my arrival. I watched as him playing the game with a serious expression which is weird for me. He always looked calm, but how can a game can make him looking that serious? I can never understand him.

I tried to look at the pieces left on the board when Khun Korn finally took a notice of my present. "Oh, Pete! Come closer." Khun Korn called me over. I bowed as he was looking at me and obeyed his words to get closer to him.

"Look at this." Khun Korn diverted my attention towards the chess game he had been playing alone. There was only few pieces left. The white pieces seemed to be winning as they still have their powerful pieces like the king, queen, knight, bishop, and rook, although they had no pawn left. Meanwhile, the black pieces were only left with the king, queen, and a few more pawns.

"What do you think of this?" Khun Korn asked for my opinion.

"What? I know nothing about this game."

"Which team do you think is winning?"

"Errr... probably the white team."

"Why?"

"It still has many powerful pieces."

"Do you know what is more powerful than these powerful pieces?"

I shook my head, not knowing what to answer.

"The pawns."

I tilted my head, looking at those chess pieces. How can a pawn be more powerful than the other pieces?

"Never mind. You can go take a rest now."

"Is that all, Khun Korn?"

"Yes. I've seen enough."

I went out of Khun Korn's room.