40. Nightmare

VEGAS

"So, you got the memory of the other Pete a few months ago. Sometimes, you will be having a dream of you in a coma. If you are lucky enough, you can get new information when my cousins are having a discussion in a room where you are staying while you are in a coma." I am not sure if it makes sense, but that was what I can summarise from what Pete had just told me.

He snapped his fingers. "Yes! You got it now. Isn't it great?" Great? How can that be great? Especially when that might be his future?

"How is that great?" I snapped at him. "What if we ended up like that too?" I asked, looking all serious. He chuckled a bit, making me feel frustrated.

"That's why I am here. To make sure you are alive." He said then, trying to ease the tension that started to build up in the air.

"It just doesn't sound right." It didn't work for me, though. Of course, I still doubt that he had told me everything. The fact that he made it sounded like it was nothing giving me a hunch that there must be something he is hiding from me.

"I told you. It is changing. We are changing." He is still trying to convince me. Or himself. I can sense the sign of desperation from his tone.

"Yes, but with what in return? There must be something changing too, right? Like... have you been kidnapped too by other mafia family in your other life, too?" I questioning him. "No. Am I right? Is it related to why they shoot that Pete in the first place?"

I observed Pete's reaction before continuing, "If it is as you said... that they shoot you because your family worked with Anurak's family. Why would they go to that extent? That family doesn't even exist anymore. You don't even know that family existence when you were shot, am I right?" I try to make myself sound calmer so as not to give him more pressure.

"Are you seriously thinking that was the only reason? There must be something..."

"I am not stupid, you know? I never really want to get involved in all of these shit. I always want to live a simple life with Grandma in our hometown. I am here only because I feel indebted to Khun Korn." He cut me off.

"What?" I was caught on guard when I heard his last sentence.

"Your uncle recruited me when he came to our hometown. It was just a coincidence, though. My Grandpa somehow helped him and Khun Korn helped our village in some ways. We can survive thanks to him." Pete shrugged.

"He even recruited me,..." Pete continued. His volume got lowered. "...so that I can ease grandma's burden and repay her."

I was too occupied to notice the changes in Pete's tone. Something's off. Uncle never asks for help and he would never help someone without anything in return. I've always known that Pete becomes the main family's bodyguard by not going through the usual procedure like the others. However, the fact that uncle personally appointed him?

"You can't go back to the Main Family." I shook my head, pleading for him to stay.

"That is not even a choice for me, and that is not for you to decide." Pete said with a firm tone of voice, giving me no chance to counter.

Our eyes met. No one wanted to give up. After I feel like it is long enough, when I feel like it is too much for Pete, when he started to look more tense than usual, I looked away and let out a sigh. I took the used plates and cutlery to send them away to the kitchen.

"You should rest. I'll send you back to the Main Family in a few days." It seemed like Pete wanted to argue, but I quickly went out of the room.

When I got back to my room, the lights were still on. However, Pete has already lying down at one side of the bed. I smiled and joined him into the bed after I turned the lights off. I knew Pete had not yet slept when he moved so that only his back was facing me. That does not stop me from getting closer to him and hug him from his back.