18. Let's Talk

PETE

I went out through the back door. The one I usually used when I wanted to sneak out of this mansion. Today is still my day off of job. It was actually a medical leave and I was supposed to take a rest, but I just couldn't helped it. I need to meet Vegas to find out his reason for showing me the video.

I went to a temple located near the minor family mansion. If I remember it correctly, both Vegas and Macau will come to this temple today. I was not hundred percent sure that I'll meet them here today since some things might have changed, but I have no other chance to talk to Vegas again. I'll just have to rely on my luck this time.

I stood still at outside of the temple, contemplating whether to step in or not. I didn't even know if they have arrived or not or if they were inside. I was rethinking about my decision when two hands touched both of my shoulders giving me a jolt. I immediately turned my body, facing that person. It was Macau.

"Khun Macau!" I called out his name while stepping backwards until I was stopped by two hands softly placed on my arms.

"Be careful." A familiar voice of a familiar person telling me from behind. I squirmed a bit to release myself from Vegas. He put his hands down after noticing my reaction. I looked at Macau's grinning face. Then, I looked at Vegas' smiling face. Was I being surrounded by these two siblings? Because that was what I felt.

Macau gets closer to me and grabbed my arm. "Phi Pete. What are you doing here?" Macau asked me before he looked around looking for something. "Don't tell me Khun is here too. Is he here? Where is he?"

"I don't think Khun is here. He is here alone. Today is his off day." Vegas answered Macau's question on my behalf. "What are you doing here?" He asked me with a concerned look.

I looked down, thinking of the most appropriate answer I could give to him. The only thing I knew the moment I decided to go out today was to meet him and to talk with him about the video. I didn't know how to start it. "I..."

"Are you here to listen to the sermon? Let's go together then. We can make merits together too!" Macau is a friendly kid. Too friendly I would say. It's hard to decline his invitation.

I looked at Vegas. Asking for his help. Vegas gave me a faint smile and gave me a slight nod. Is he seriously agreeing with Macau? Is he seriously asking me to join them too? Macau pushed my back to enter the temple while Vegas following us from behind.

Vegas and I sat side by side while Macau was falling asleep at the back. I stared at Macau's direction. This kid! Asking me to join when he's the one who is sleeping! I cursed him with my eyes.

While listening to the sermon, I glanced at Vegas' direction for few times. After some times, I started to feel tired and sleepy. I rarely acting like this. Usually, I would give my full attention while listening to sermon and doing my merits. I guessed my body has not yet fully back to my usual condition yet.

I gussed Vegas noticed it, so he called me once the sermon ended. I looked at him for a second before diverted my attention towards the person that handed me a jug to make merits.

I looked at the jug on the floor at in front of me. There was only one jug. "Do you want me to get another jug?" I offered to him.

"No need. Let's make merits together, so that we can meet again in the next life."

Next life? No. I'm tired of that! Once is enough. This one time is tiring enough. "No. I would rather not to. Let me go get another one."

I was about to stand when he caught my wrist and forced me to sit back. "I said we can share it." I sat back while looking at him. He gave me a satisfied look.

I couldn't really giving my full attention while making the merits. My mind was wandering around. I wonder if this was really the cause of me being here. Overthinking makes my head hurts.

I closed my eyes, hoping to be able to focus on doing my merit. That was when Vegas placed his hand on my back. I opened my eyes and pushed his hand away.

"Are you okay?" Vegas asked me, concerned. I ignored his question. In that silence, suddenly the whole room was filled with the sound of my stomach grumbling. Okay, maybe not the whole room, but at least I am very sure Vegas heard it

Once the merit ceremony is ended, I let out a heavy sigh while other people started to get stand up and leave the place. That was also when I heard Vegas' chuckled.

"I thought you were not well yet. I guess you are just hungry." Vegas whispered to me. I rolled my eyes. Forget my mission to save him. Can I kill him now?

My mission? Ugh! It's easier said than done. I decided to come here today to have a talk with Vegas. When the time to do it finally comes, I feel like running away.

I remembered Vegas asking me to pour the water out and gone when I came back. Maybe I should do the same in this life too so that he'll be gone when I came back. Then, I no longer need to talk with him.

"Let me go pour the water out." This time, I voluntarily went out to pour the water. I poured the water out of the jug at outside of the room. Instead of going back into the room to return the jug, I looked around looking for someone who was going back there.

I saw a lady heading towards the room. I stopped her and asked for her help to return the jug back. I thanked her as she she took the jug to help me to return it.

I was going to walk out of the temple when Vegas grabbed my wrist to stop me. He asked, "Where are you going when I am still here?"

I looked at him. Ahhh... So he hasn't left yet. Why hasn't he left?

"I would never leave until I get what I want."

What the hell does he wants?

"I want to talk with you, Pete..."

What the hell? Did he just read my mind?

"...and I know why you come here."

Huh?

"You want to talk with me too." He said to me while looking so assured. "So, let's talk."

_________

I don't know anything about the religion and customs, so I wrote about it as general as I can. Sorry if there is anything about it that I wrote is wrong.

Enjoy Your Reading!