49. Kinn's Trust

VEGAS

Stupid Pete.

"Come on! You can't just turn your back on me just because I decided to carry on with the mission Khun Kinn gave me."

"Sure, I can." I looked out of the window, acting like I was ignoring Pete. While the truth is, I was looking at him through the reflection from the window.

"Childish!" Pete pouted and looked to the other way.

"You were scared about the fact that history is repeating just yesterday, and now you yourself are the one who decided to repeat it on your own." I rationalised with Pete.

"Ken, that supposed to caught me is no longer in the picture. You are already on my side, aren't you? All the known factors are gone. What more could happen to me?" Pete was clearly not doing in-depth thinking before deciding to accept Kinn's mission.

"There is no doubt that I am on your side, and I'll protect you, no matter what it takes. But, what about the other bodyguards? What about Pa? I can't control him and his bodyguards." I warned him.

"You said it. Things are changing, and those things are not just us." I reminded him.

"That Pete was lucky enough he was caught by the person that happened to fall in love with him afterwards." I didn't mean to downplay the trauma Pete from the other world went through, but somehow, I can't stop thinking how lucky he was that Vegas got interested in him. If not, he will surely be killed.

Meanwhile, in this timeline, if things really went south while Pete's doing that mission, who can guarantee Pete's safety? What if I can't make it in time to save him? I dare not to take the risk, nor do I want to risk him.

I continued, "What if something bad still happened and I can't get to you in time?" Only by thinking about it got me choked.

"I know." Pete agreed, which didn't even make me feel better. Worst, to be honest.

He then continued, "You already know about me having a dream of me being in a coma. Actually, it was not just a dream. I somehow travel to the other world's future, which could possibly be our future too, and..." He paused.

"Whenever I went there, there were a few people that were always there, investigating your death, and it seems like they are protecting me too." He continued after he took a glance towards me.

"Who are 'they'?" I asked curiously.

As if he had been waiting for me to ask the question, he immediately answered, "Khun Kinn is one of them!"

He continued," He is also the one with the most power there. That's why I feel like I need to gain Khun Kinn's trust. We need to have his support. The earlier, the better." Pete trying so hard to convince me.

"It is worth trying because in the end, he will have to go against his own father, anyway. Although it seems impossible right now because his respect and loyalty to Khun Korn are too great." Pete shrugged, and his lips turned into a thin line.

"Stupid Kinn." I cursed aloud, in which Pete responded with a chuckle. I grunted in displeased and asked him more questions, "Why would Kinn go against his own father?"

Of course, I know Uncle Korn is not as kind as how he portrayed himself in front of the others. However, that does not explain why Kinn would have fought against his own father.

"I don't think I have ever told you this, but the person who shot us, it wasn't just a bodyguard from the main or minor family. It was Khun Korn himself."

I knew it! I assumed this much, but I didn't expect Uncle to try to kill Pete using his own hands. I do have a few other assumptions that are in need of confirmation from Pete.

"Your family does not work for the family. You are the missing child. The sole heir of the family." Pete seemed surprise that I knew, still, he nodded, confirming my suspicion.

"Wow. You make it sound like it is a big deal." Pete laughed awkwardly.

"Because it is. If not, Uncle wouldn't want to kill you."

Pete nodded in agreement. "I don't get it, though. The family is long gone. I wouldn't have known any of this if he didn't get me involved." There was regret in his tone.

Pete knew Uncle Korn hired him because of his background. Honestly, it wouldn't be hard to guess once you knew the history. "Are you regret accepting Uncle's offer to work with the family?" I asked him.

"Should I not? I don't even know what to feel after knowing all of this. Let alone to know what to do!" Pete ranted. I kept my silence, allowing Pete to release his frustration.

Once he has calmed down, he continues, "Anyway, while Khun Gun may be the one initiated the war between the two families, I think he was just being used."

"How so?"

"Porsche's mother. Khun Korn hid her and used her to trigger Khun Gun to attack the main family. He knows how helplessly in love Khun Gun is with her."

"So he might be using Pa's motive to start the war, so no one would know his true intention. Also, knowing how Uncle himself is desperate enough to show up and use his own hand to try to kill you, you must be his real target."

"Although I still can't think of any reason why would he want to kill me, apart from me being part of the Anurak family. Is it power? Wealth? But I have none of that!" Pete scratched his head, messing up with his hair, and let out a heavy sigh.

He then looked at me with a guilty look and said, "You just happened to be there, at the wrong place and at the wrong time. I'm sorry." He apologized.

"Don't. We are both victims of the olders' greed." I leaned forward so that my hand could reach him to brush his hair to each side, exposing his eyes and forehead. Pete lets me do whatever I want.

I pulled back my hand once I was satisfied. I was still curious about the other people, though. "Who else are there? Besides Kinn." I asked him.

"Porsche, Khun Noo, Khun Kim, and..." Pete paused and glanced at me before continued, "Macau."

"Macau, too?"

"Yes. He never leaves. He took care of me, as if I were his own brother." Pete gave me a faint smile. "You know, Macau may still be young, but he is way more mature and capable than you think." Pete continued.

I let out a sigh and diverted my eyes to the large window. I stared into nothingness. I thought of what Pete just said. Is it the sign to let Macau get involved in the family matters? To allow him to officially be included in the family events rather than just being an observer? Giving him a heads up?

What a cruel fate the Macau from the other timeline had to face. His pa and brother left, leaving him alone. I wonder what Macau would have felt. He must have felt devastated, but yet he took care of the unconscious Pete. I don't Macau in this timeline to go through the same fate as he was.

"Are you okay?" Only when Pete decided to break the silence, that I realized he had been very considerate by giving me some time to digest whatever he had just told me.

While it was expected for Porsche and Khun Noo to side with Pete as they were very close to each other, there was another name I never thought I would have heard here. It was Kim.