fourty

january 2022

i wake up by meadows loud cries. i quickly sit up and realise harry's not in the bed next to me.

just as i get to meadows bedroom, harry walks up behind me. "morning, baby." i smile.

he shakes a bit of shock over his face away and comes up to peck my lips quickly.

i grab meadow in my arms and try to soothe her. "hey pretty girl." i whisper down at her.

"baby, there's someone downstairs and before you disagree with me, please just listen." harry starts off and suddenly i understand the look he had on his face.

"okay... who?" i ask in confusion.

"listen, your dads house is being put up for for sale and so your mum doesn't have a place to be and i let her stay here."

i grab harrys hand. "she's downstairs?" i'm not mad at harry, just unsure what to do really.

"yeah, she was stood with all her stuff and i just couldn't let her stay out there."

"baby, you don't have to explain it to me. thank you."

harry smiles. "thank you?"

"yeah, thank you. you're the kindest person i know and i love you." i peck his lips.

"i love you unconditionally."

harry squeezes my hand and slowly pulls me down the stairs.

we're almost all the way down the stairs when harry stops me, kisses my cheek and tells me he'll try putting meadow back to sleep and be down in a bit.

i walk down the last few steps and my mums head shoots up towards me.

i breathe out a quiet. "hi."

"ivory, darling. hi."

"mum, i- uh- i can buy you an apartment or house or-" i want to talk to my mum, but i don't wanna have a conversation with her if it's gonna be like it always has with my parents. then i'd rather give her what she wants and have her leave.

"ivory, i promise that's not why i'm here. i- i want to be there for you. i want to get to know harry and my grandchild. ivy, i miss you and i wanna make up for all this."

i don't know what to say and even though i don't want to, i start feeling anxious and nervous. i need harrys hand in mine.

i hear quick footsteps and seconds later, harry's sat down next to me and pulling me into his body.

"you two seem perfect together." my mum sends a tight smile towards harry.

"we are very happy, aren't we?" harry turns my body, so my legs are in his lap and pecks my cheek.

one of the things i admire the most about harry is his ability to remain calm and always knows how to handle every situation.

i smile and keep my eyes looking into harry's. "we are."

i turn to my mum and before i get to speak, she does.

"i want to be there for you, i want to be your mum." she sighs at the end.

all i can think about is wilma. she's graduating this summer and if our mum is there with her i know that's sound that could mean the world. if only she would try seeking out to wilma the way she's trying with me.

of course i'm not even sure wilma would be willing to forgive them. she's probably the strongest woman i know and this would give so much more to both wilma and i, if only she'd talk to wilma.