country club-hydrngea

there were all sorts of talk about you and rafe cameron spreading around the country club.

everytime you went out to drop off an order at a table, you'd hear whispers of your name and feel heavy glares being burnt onto the back of your uniform.

you knew that the people were gonna talk. you were the kook-kings new girl and that was enough to rile up every girl in the obx, especially since you were a pogue.

the sharp voice of your boss pulled you out of your trance as you washed some dirty dishes.

"hey, y/n! switch places with jere at the bar so he can go on break."

fuck

that was the last thing you needed today and might as well been your last straw. of course he had to switch you to the bar ten minutes before the end of your shift. you internally groan at his words, whilst putting forth your best country-club smile and pushing past the trap door.

the second you walk out you're ushered over by a high pitched girl from the corner of the bar. great. of course it's the assholes from school calling for you.

"hey, yoo-hoo! we need some refills over here."

you hurry over to the group and forced greeting "how may i help?" you ask with a fiegned sweetnsss to your voice, silently praying under your breath that they won't order anything too complex.

you definitely jinxed yourself.

"can we get 6 spicy margs with extra spice?"

you can't help the disappointed sigh that escapes you- it's probably going to take you past the end of your shift to finish mixing that many drinks.

it seems like your dissatisfaction is apparent to them, because the girl in the middle, bianca, you think, cocks her head to her left and pouts.

"is there a problem? you do realize this is your job right?"

you're taken aback by her comment, even though it shouldn't surpise you. she's been kildare's self appointed queen bee since elementary. her words aren't very out of the ordinary for her, but they still sting at your chest.

another one scoffs, shrugging a shoulder as she combs her fingers through her freshly balayaged hair. "i know it's hard for you pogues to be on your feet and work for your money, but what's the point of the paycheck if you can't even do your job enthusiastically?"

your clench your fist at your side, digging your fingernails into your palm while biting your tounge. you try not to make it seem like they're getting to you, but you know by the burning feeling on your cheeks that your body is betraying you.

"so 6 spicy margaritas?" you attempt to end their shaming of you by clarifying the order, but they totally ignore you, continuing on with their degradation.

"really, y/n. if you want the tips you should at least act happy to be at your job."

happy was the last thing you were feeling at the moment.

"i'll take that into-" you voice cracks in the middle of your sentence, your frustration catching up to you. suddenly, you feel small, small like you're the size of the fire ants that strut over the ground; even smaller. "consideration." you finish, muttering the last word.

you make to turn on your heel and start on the drinks, yet you hear your name fall from one of their lips once again. you try to focus on pouring the alcohol increments correctly, but you can't stop yourself from tuning into what they have to say about you.

"i bet she's gonna leave rafe the second she drains his bank account."

"please; rafe will leave her once he finally realizes he deserves way better than a pogue. just a matter of time."

the conversation just keeps getting worse, to the point you almost drop the marghertis as you carry them over towards them.

you let out a somewhat relieved sigh when you see rafe walking over towards the counter, twirling his car keys on his pointer finger.

"hiii rafe." bianca says, her voice drippping with desperation that almost makes you gag. rafe acts as though she were on mute, completely ignoring her while he beelined in your direction.

he leans against the bar, offering a smile that's reserved for just you "hey baby," rafe greets. "ready to go home?"

"yea. let me just grab my stuff and i'll be out quick." you reply, quietly as you finish wiping down your work area.

rafe notices your hushed tone and your upset mood without you having to announce it; you have that angry look in your eyes and your skin is flushed scarlet with your jaw it taut. something's up.

he watches as you trudge out the door and slightly juts out his lip in a small pout, wondering what's going on with you right now. usually you're all cheerful and happy when he comes to pick you up from work.

"of course y/n needs rafe to rescue her from work." his ears capture the annoying voice of one of the girls gathered together at the corner of the bar. he turns around, looking at them with his brow furrowed in disgust.

"god, i don't know how he deals with he-"

"what'd you just say?" rafe pushes himself off the counter and stomps his way towards them, giving them all a glare made of steel. the girls all tense in their seats, voices piping down as they just look at him.

of course fucking bianca's the one to open her mouth to try and respond. rafe doesn't even give her the opportunity to say something, cutting her off before she can't even start. "keep that mouth shut. especially if your gonna talk shit about my girl." he threatens, eyes shooting daggers at her.

just then, you appear from the corner and rafe walks away from them, possessively wrapping an arm over you shoulder, pressing a firm kiss to your forhead and then your lips. "let's get out of here, huh?" he whispers against your lips and you reply nod, giving him a small smile before you bring your fingers to interlock with his which rests by your bicep.

you can't help the giggle which falls from you as he mutters a pointed comment towards the girls while you walk past them- loud enough that you're sure they heard.

they definitely will be keeping their mouths shut from now on.