gym bro - hydrngea

it took you a good 2 months after moving to the obx to try out the local gym.

you know, you know. there's nothing really to be afraid of; you know how all the machines work and you don't have to worry much about your form. it's just now that you've moved away for college, you don't have your best friend working out side by side with you. and it's got you nervous.

you finally mustered up the courage after a long facetime call with her. you were gonna do it. expand your horizons.

you felt instantly relieved when you walked into the gym and it was empty. you always thought that nine o'clock at night was the perfect time to go, since all the machines and benches were empty a couple hours before the gym closes.

you look around. there's about 4 people in the gym other than yourself.

there's some guy in the corner by the deadlift platform that seems to think he's batman;with a weird all black getup, wearing...combat boots?

another two are a really cringe high school couple. bleh.

and then the last one by the bench presses.

woah. he's hot. you think, panning him from far away and taking him in. he's literally lifting triple the amount of weight you can. you didn't even know the arm had so many muscle groups.

alright, maybe this new gym isn't so bad.

you find your way to an open bench and put your stuff down. you stare at the plates for a good minute or two and wonder what would be the best the start with. you decide on a safer weight to warm up. it has been more than a few weeks since you've benched.

you lay onto the bench and place you hands into position, puffing out your chest while sucking in a tight breath.

you push up on the bar and immediately regret your overconfidence. the weight moves too heavy, yet you still force yourself to continue with reps.

2...3...4..

you're so close to hitting 6 reps, but suddenly at the end of the forth one your arms give out and the bar begins to fall on you chest.

you do your best to prepare for the blow, but it never comes. you blink a couple times and realize a pair of strong hands have pulled up the bar from you and a handsome face mirrors yours.

oh god. it's him. the cute guy.

"easy there, sweetheart." his gruff voice cuts through your thoughts you immediately fall in love.

he places the bar onto the hinges with ease and you quickly sit up on the bench, face burning. your hands are as red as a tomato from the right grip you had on the bar, and your wrist aches from the failed lift.

you pull your headphones off of your head and turn your neck to look at him, "i'm so sorr-"

you begin to apologize but he cuts you off with a chuckle.

"nah, what are you apologizing for? i'm sorry for not asking if you wanted a spot earlier."

earlier? did he notice me earlier?

"this used to be my warm up." you say with your head low, a small scoff coming out during the beginning of your sentence.

the stranger shrugs, "well for the first few sets it looked like you were handling it just fine."

you raise a brow, not able to control the sudden urge for flirtation that comes upon you. "were you watching me?"

he crosses his arms over the bar and leans against it, shaking his head which caused his hair to shuffle a bit and his muscles to flex in the most mesmerizing way ever.

you're sure you gawking at him and that you should probably avert your eyes from his body but you kinda can't help it.

"of course i was. couldn't stop but notice the pretty girl that walked in."

you roll you eyes at the comment, shaking your head. "i doubt that i'm pretty."

he scoffs. "you're the prettiest girl in here."

"is that because i'm the only girl in here?" you question, undoing your loose ponytail to redo it.

"you know what i meant, pretty girl."

"mm. sure...pretty boy." you test out the nickname and he smiles at you for the first time. you swear your feel butterflies all over your body at the simple action.

he takes a step out towards the front of the bench to face you. "how 'bout we spot each other so we don't get hurt, pretty girl?" he suggest, a lop sided smile curving onto his gorgeous face.

god. why are you so down bad for a guy you just met?

"why not?" you acquiesce, sending him your own mirroring grin in return.

you think it's safe to say this won't be the last time you'd visiting this gym.