Chapter 62: Scum Of A Father

Jimin froze as he heard her question. In a bid to prove himself, he had't considered the fact that he would have to tell her the full story.

He stared at her for more than a minute, unable to say any words. As soon as Lalisa saw that he was unwilling to talk, she turned to leave, after all, she still had to meet someone in about two hours.

Also, she still had to change her appearance, which meant that she didn't have time on her hands.

"I owe them money." Jimin finally managed to say just in time to make Lalisa stop in her tracks.

She couldn't imagine how much a student could owe that would make those kind of men to be on his neck, after all, she had also lived in abject poverty all through her high school in her past life.

"It's cold out here, let's go to the diner opposite if you want to talk. If you don't, I can give you my contact so you can call me when you are free or think you need my help." Lalisa said, afraid to make him feel like she was forcing him to open up when in reality, she wanted no such thing like that.

"It's okay, we can go across." Jimin said and even rushed forward so he could lead the way.

As it was not rush hour time, the diner was relatively quiet and Lalisa hurriedly made an order to get some hot chocolate. "Would you like the same thing?"

Jimin nodded absentmindedly and Lalisa placed the order.

.....

She left him for the next few minutes as she took in details. In this cold weather, the boy was only wearing that barely thick hoodie. The same one she had seen on him all week. More importantly, there was nothing inside the cloth which showed that he most likely had no one being concerned about him and he also didn't have time for himself.

"Those seven men were sent from Hades. They are called loan sharks and since my father owed them a large amount of money before he ran off, it is now my responsibility to pay the debt off." Jimin started making Lalisa's searching mind immediately go blank.

At most, he was probably a boy just above the age of nineteen, to think that he had such a childhood responsibility was quite sad.

Unable to resist, she asked "Where did your father go?"

"I have no idea, but since one autumn two years ago, I haven't laid my eyes on his shadow." He replied coldly, the tightening of his jaws as he talked about his father was all the indication that Lalisa needed to know how much it affected him.

But since this was a matter that he brought up, she was also not responsible for closing it. Usually, she wouldn't have bothered, after all, she didn't know him and even though they had sat beside each other for a week, they hadn't even said one word to each other.

Yet, she felt like she could see her past self in him, hardened, desperate and full of despair. Back then, she had been too helpless at all the card that life was dealing with her that even when she knew that Tong Yang didn't care for her as much as she did, she had willingly accepted that dynamic out of desperation.

Now that she saw that same despair reflecting in the eyes of the man before her, she didn't want to just walk away without doing anything. To her, turning her back in such a situation would be like her turning her back against herself.

"It's a lot" Jimin murmured and then took in a deep breath when he saw Lalisa's raised brows that were clearly telling him to continue.

"He loaned about $500,000 from the loan sharks and then eloped with another woman immediately." He said and then bent his head, ashamed that the man he was talking about was the one who had birthed him.