Chapter 40

Hell
Void's realm

Celine swallowed right away. He led her to the location where her soul was condemned for all time, contrary to all the locations she had envisioned him hiding her.

Celine was too baffled to speak and attempted to maintain her composure. She had gone through plenty and had endured everything possible. But she had never in her life anticipated that she would be carried to hell by a demon king to escape another.

She reflected that the flight hadn't been excessively long. She was unsure as to whether time moved similarly in hell to how it did on Earth.

As Celine watched in amazement, the atmosphere above her suddenly began to shift. The dark grey sky she had been looking at seconds before transformed before her very eyes, changing to a brilliant white. The light that had been illuminating the area also changed, as the colors of the sky slowly shifted from a mix of red, green, blue, gold, silver, and black to a shimmering golden hue.

Despite the similarity in appearance to Earth's clouds, there was no mistaking the atmosphere's otherworldly nature, as lightning crackled through the sky and the air grew tense with energy. As the demon descended from the sky and finally landed before her, Celine found herself standing at the entrance of an enormous castle. The structure was a magnificent sight to behold and was decorated in only two colors that matched the demon's appearance: gold and white.

The castle had a truly antique feel to it, and as the massive gate creaked open, Celine's eyes widened as she took in the interior's stunning décor. The entire space was adorned in gold and antique furnishings, and every detail had been perfected to create a truly mesmerizing atmosphere.

Celine felt as though she was in a dream, but when she opened and shut her eyes again, she was still there.

"Wow," she finally managed to say. Turning to face the demonic being, he didn't appear impressed. "Heaven is a far better place than this." He shrugged and walked up to her so they could properly face one another.

This reminded her of where they were. In hell. Once more, irritation and wrath began to increase. "What is wrong with you for sending me to hell?" Nearly raising her voice, Celine confronted him.

"You must realize that this is the one location that is secure, even if only temporarily." He made an effort to soothe her.

"So tell me how being in literal hell is safer than being on earth?" Before panicking out, she crossed her arms and waited for a plausible explanation.

"He cannot enter without my permission since this is my domain and other demons not under my control cannot." As he turned to go, he headed for a different door. With his response appearing to be enough, Celine followed him without speaking.

The atmosphere became warmer as they entered since a large fireplace was on the other side of the room. He motioned to the plush golden couch and said, "Have a seat." There was a long pause when she sat down until Celine broke it.

"I'm curious," she said, looking at the demon beside her. "What can I call you since you most certainly won't give me your name?" He didn't answer, staring at the ground as soon as she spoke. "I'm nothing," he replied with a defeated tone. "Call me whatever you want."

She could sense his reluctance to open up, but she didn't want to push him too hard. "I definitely won't call you nothing," she insisted with a fierce voice, trying to encourage him.He seemed to be lost in thought for a moment before speaking.

"Everyone I'm around gets void inside until they are so drained of life, they end their suffering in eternal death." His voice was filled with shame. The other demons she had met seemed to be enjoying what they did, but he was different. "Void," she paused, "This name seems suitable then." At that, the demon shrugged.