Chapter 45

491 B.C, Italy, Calabria

(Author's note: I recommend you to listen to the song: "The Night We Met" by Lord Huron)

Throughout her several lifetimes on Earth, Celine has never felt more whole or at home. The reality was all she had ever longed for. She was immortal, living her life through all of its ups and downs, and traveling back in time to experience events that she had studied about. Most significantly, she is now a mother and finally found true love.

Until she met Rylus, she had lost faith. And to her, Alicia, their daughter, was everything. Celine didn't give much thought that their lifestyle wasn't luxurious like it had been in previous lifetimes. As long as they stayed with her, she wouldn't even mind if they ended up homeless.

It enthralled Celine with the image of Rylus and Alicia having fun on the beach. Rylus was a wonderful husband and parent. Never putting his wants first and always looking out for others.

Alicia had only turned to a few weeks before, but she was already beginning to share Rylus's passion for painting. He would have painted all night in his office with Alicia if it weren't for Celine.

Even if her life occasionally felt too good to be true, she didn't want to live in constant dread of losing them. She would not have had to lose them for many years to come. A few times, she wondered what she would do if they passed away. Only horror scenarios were the outcome of this.

"My love," Rylus said, breaking through the darkness in her thoughts. Glancing up at him, Rylus held their daughter, full of smiles, in his arms. "Yes?" She enquired. "I almost forgot to mention that there is a small festival in this village tomorrow night. There will also be children and dancing. Since so many would be gathered, it would also be an excellent chance for me to sell some of my artwork."

All Celine could do was smile at him. Because even if he wanted something bad enough, he wouldn't even dare to consider it twice if Celine spoke out against it. "Of course, we can go. It'll be enjoyable. I can't stay at the beach or home forever, you're right. I have to face the people again before they all forget my existence again."

Rylus knelt beside Celine. "Put this thinking aside. If you don't feel ready, you don't have to go. Just the three of us can have some quality time together at home. The two of you are the most important people in my life. You shouldn't feel obligated to assist me in any way." He gave her a forehead kiss. "Just promise me this, okay?"

"I love you, you know?" A moment later, Celine said. "My love, if I were to go to hell for loving a woman who sold her soul to the devil himself, I would. So then I would be closer to heaven than any other sinner."

The next day

Alicia, Rylus, and Celine were all looking forward to the event. Celine made new outfits for everyone because they didn't have much money and she had plenty of time to spend at home.

They changed into their new clothing early on the day of the celebration. Celine had ornamented Alicia's head with a flower crown and braided her hair. Rylus had smoothed his hair and put on his nicest pair of pants and shirt. They all appeared to be carefree and happy.

They strolled towards the town plaza, the site of the celebration. There were a lot of people there, all dressed up. A few vendors offered artwork, food, and drinks. Additionally, there was a stage with musicians performing and people dancing.

Rylus had arrived at the festival with a few of his paintings to sell. He didn't expect to make a lot of money, but he wanted to share his creativity with people. He placed his paintings on display at a little stand close to the stage. A few people came over to have a look at them, but none made a purchase.