Chapter 43

The sun dipped below the horizon, casting the tranquil beach in hues of orange and pink. Celine sat alone on the sandy shore, her eyes fixed on the gentle waves that kissed the coastline. The breeze whispered through the palm trees, and seagulls cried out in the distance. She had been here for hours, as the sun made its slow descent into the sea, but Rylus was nowhere to be found.

Doubts began to creep in. Had he forgotten? Five years was a long time, after all. Over the years, she had learned to expect very little from people. It was one of the harsh lessons life had taught her.

The thought of Rylus forgetting about their promise, about her, made her heart heavy. She recalled the warmth in his eyes and the sincerity in his voice as he vowed to meet her here. It felt like a dream now, one that was fading away with each passing minute.

An hour had passed since the appointed time, and Celine's shoulders slumped with disappointment. She stood up, brushed the sand from her dress, and deeply breathed. It was time to go. She couldn't bear to linger any longer, her hope waning with every tick of the clock.

As she turned to leave, ready to face the disappointment of broken promises once more, something caught her eye. In the distance, against the fading light of the day, she saw a figure running towards her. The silhouette, clutching a basket, was undoubtedly that of a man. Her heart leaped with a mixture of hope and disbelief. Could it be him?

Celine stood rooted to the spot, her breath caught in her throat as the figure drew nearer. Her heart raced as he approached, his pace quickening. As he came into focus, her eyes met his, and she knew it was him. It was Rylus, his face beaming, his eyes filled with excitement and regret.

With a pounding heart, she watched as he drew closer, his breaths coming in ragged gasps from his sprint. Finally, he reached her, his chest heaving. "I'm so sorry I'm late," he panted, between breaths. "The backers took longer than expected, and I couldn't get away."

Celine was stunned, unable to comprehend that he was really there. The man who had vowed to meet her five years ago, the one she had believed had forgotten, was standing before her. "You remembered me," she breathed, her voice barely more than a whisper.

Rylus looked at her with eyes that held the weight of his promise. "I promised I would," he said, his voice tinged with relief. He held up the basket he had brought, a gesture of goodwill and sincerity.

Celine and Rylus settled on the beach, the golden grains of sand beneath them, and a basket of pastries spread between them. The pastries were unlike any she had tasted before. They were a delicacy from a time long gone, their flavors an irresistible blend of sweet and nutty notes.

Rylus, with a smile that seemed to light up the darkening sky, confessed, "I'm an artist. I love to draw and write poems." He reached for a pastry and bit into it, savoring the taste.

Celine's interest piqued. "Poems? Would you read one to me?"

Rylus nodded and with a soft, melodic voice, he recited:

"In the twilight's tender glow, we met,
Two souls drawn in an eternal bet.
In your eyes, I found my sanctuary,
Remembering her is a promise to carry."

The simplicity and beauty of the poem enchanted Celine. "When did you write that?"

Rylus grinned. "I wrote it on the day we met."

As they talked more, Rylus asked, "Where are you from?"

Celine hesitated, not ready to reveal the truth. "From far away, a land you wouldn't know."

Rylus was persistent, and he leaned in a little closer. "Tell me more about your home."

Celine thought for a moment, her gaze fixed on the darkening horizon. "It's a place of vast landscapes, towering mountains, and endless forests. People from all corners of the world gather there, sharing their stories, and their dreams. It's a place where cultures blend and innovations flourish."