Before Bed Part 2 - Chris

Hello friends, I hope all is well! 

Beautiful @Sparkler2020 has requested a follow up to this story saying: "I was thinking maybe this night (like after they get home) Chris sleeps in Nick's bed and has a nightmare about something bad happening to Nick if they didn't pick him up (like he was still at Madi's house and someone broke in, for example) and wakes up like really scared and emotional and Nick wakes up and then starts comforting him and then Matt wakes up and joins in on the comfort :)" Thank you for this prompt, it's always a pleasure chatting with you! I hope you enjoy! 

TW for mildly graphic violence here, swearing, blood, but you can skip the first four paragraphs to avoid it, the story still makes sense that way. 

Words: 1463

♡ Madi's body shivered as an onslaught of sobs wracked through her body. The duck tape firmly secured over her mouth forbade her from screaming. Her and her mother, Laura, were both sat on the cold, unfinished floor in their basement. They were back to back, restrained at the ankles and wrists with rope. Chris' headed whipped around to see his brother being lead down the creaking staircase, a man directly behind him. He felt himself whimper as he watched Nick yelling profanities at the larger man, who had something pressed against Nick's lower back. His brother was being pushed aggressively in the direction of his friend and manager before being instructed to sit next to them. 

"Move, get on the ground," the man yelled, his tone was hostile as he threw a handful of ropes in Nick's direction, "tie yourself up like them, do it now," 

"Why are you doing th-" Nick's backtalk was interrupted by the man hitting him in the mouth. Chris jolted at the impact, as if it had made contact with his own face. He finally made out the object the man was using, a gun. Before Chris could register much else he heard the harsh voice again.

"Do what I fucking said," the man called out, his voice sounded unhinged as he shoved Nick to the ground, as his mouth dripped blood onto the floor. Madi had her face completely turned away from the situation and Chris wanted to too but he couldn't figure out what exactly was happening. Chris watched as Nick continued to fight the man with his words, eventually earning the gun to be directed at his forehead. Chris screamed out for his brother, unsure of how to help him. He felt his throat become painful as sobs joined his shouting. 

"Chris, hey, hey, hey," a face came into view as Chris opened his eyes. His body was still unable to understand his change in surroundings. Where was the basement. Why is he in Nick's bed. Oh my god where is Nick. 

NICKS POV

I looked into Chris' eyes, they were wide with panic, looking in every direction except for mine. His body was drenched in sweat, his brown curls sticking to his damp forehead. I turned around when I heard his shrieking and him sobbing out my name. On instinct I wrapped him in my arms. I have been through his nightmares with him a thousand times, this came naturally. But the look on his face was different then what I've seen. His mind must've taken him to an harrowing place I thought to myself as I continued to listen to him call out for me. My curiosity as it was, I was more focused on calming him down first. That was usually the main battle with him. A lot of the time simply holding him, a few strokes of his curls would inevitably lull him to sleep. But this night had even started out strange, his determination to have me stay in my own bed tonight, his lack of communication, were all a bit unexpected. 

His strangled cry broke me out of my thoughts, I had him pressed tightly against my chest but he wasn't calming down. He squirmed out of my arms slightly, "Nicky-you, you, you died, you were gunna die if you stayed,"

Taken aback by the admission I cupped his cheeks in my palms, forcing his head gently to look up at me, "Chris, kid, I need you to calm down and breath first then we can talk about it, you have to calm down or you're gunna make yourself sick," I watched him hang on my every word, finally making an effort to inhale properly. His breaths were shaky but I continued to hold his face in my hands, coaching him on how to inhale and exhale. This, for me, was never an easy task, no matter how many episodes I'd been a part of. Watching Chris, alter from his contagious laughter and hyper-ness to a shell of someone who was completely engulfed in fear was never easy. His emotions were intertwined with mine celestially, every tear he shed had tears pricking at my own eyes. All I knew how to do was hold him, calm him down with my words and hope it was enough. 

"You're doing so good, that's it, that's it kid, breath for me," I still had his face cupped between my hands, his fingers were laced around my forearms, squeezing tightly. He was now on his back as I was slightly hovered over his smaller frame. I praised his good breaths as a wave of gratitude washed over me, thankful he didn't put himself into a panic attack. I listened intently as his breathing alternated between shaky inhales and soft whimpers. I took my time watching him, admiring the features of his matching face. I noticed as his cheek was moving and could tell he was biting at the inner wall of it. "Don't bite your cheeks Chris," I said in a delicate whisper, he whimpered but stopped the chewing. I caught a few tears with my thumbs as they streamed down his reddened skin. As the two of us paused in our position, I kept on with my mantra of soothing phrases, trying to keep the peace. I heard Matt come through my doorway. He immediately recognized the situation and crawled into my bed on the other side of Chris. 

"What happened?" Matt spoke openly to the group.

"Nightmare," I answered, "wasn't good," I added, trying to fill Matt in without making it obvious. 

"I'm sorry, I, I," Chris spoke from below me, his words sent him into more tears. His lips trembled, his eyes becoming glossy with the new tears forming. Soon enough, I watched his face turn wet once again as tears raced down his swollen face. Before Matt or I could react the sound of Chris bawling echoed throughout the room. 

"Chris," Matt drew out the S in a sympathetic whine, "kid, you're okay now, Nick and I are right here and everyone is okay." I let Matt take over the hold on Chris and watched as he brought him into his chest, laying Chris almost completely on top of him. 

Chris grabbed fists of the black fabric of Matt's shirt, "but, but," Chris' voice was shaking, "but Nicky died," 

"I know, I know, in your dream, but I'm right here, Chris, I'm right here, say it," I stroked the back of his head, running my fingers through his hair, "say I'm safe and okay." 

"Nicky is safe and okay," he mumbled, nearly inaudibly. 

"Say Matt is safe and okay," Matt chimed into the repetition. 

Chris did as he was told, releasing a cathartic inhale and exhale for the first time since he woke up. I praised him for repeating the words Matt and I had given him, pretty confident they had made a difference. I let the silence take over my room as we just sat there in our own worlds. I caught a glimpse of Matt and he made wide eyes my way. I returned the gesture, also feeling quite shocked and exhausted from the entire interaction. Chris still occupied Matt's body, laying completely on top of him now, with Matt running his hand up and down Chris' back. I contributed as well, massaging at Chris' scalp. Moments passed before Matt and I heard snoring from the youngest. I checked the time seeing it was close to 5am. Matt and I decided to stay up for a bit chatting, both a bit weary of leaving Chris unsupervised while he slept. Matt agreed we would ask about details when the time was right, considering this nightmare definitely took it's toll. 

Okayyy, I took a bit of a different approach and wrote half of this in first person, being Nick, I hope that it was fun to read that way let me know your thoughts!! xx