𝖡𝖺𝖼𝗍𝖾𝗋𝗂𝖺𝗅 𝖯𝗇𝖾𝗎𝗆𝗈𝗇𝗂𝖺 𝖯𝖺𝗋𝗍 2 - 𝖢𝗁𝗋𝗂𝗌

This story has taken 82 years to complete but I'm so happy with it, enjoy xx 

Summary: Part 2 of Bacterial Pneumonia, in this chapter Chris receives a blood gas sample test and comfort from his brothers. 

Words: 1628

♡ After his x-rays were taken, Chris was wheeled into a private exam room. It was just passed the nurses' bay and had a closed door where the boys could have some privacy. Nick and Matt took residency in the two chairs beside Chris' bed. They starred at their youngest brother for a few minutes, Matt taking his hand in is own and stroking his thumb on Chris' palm to calm him. Nick had taken a moment while Chris was getting an x-ray to call their parents. He didn't want to alarm them but he filled them in on the possibility of a pneumonia diagnosis. Nick was thankful for the conversation as he was feeling quite overwhelmed considering how the last few hours had been. His mom's words where comforting as always, her voice repeating in his mind, just be there with him he'll be okay with you and Matt there. As the two older watched over their brotherNick appreciated the moment of peace. Chris seemed to be slipping in and out of sleep again as they waited on Doctor Nadia to return to the room. 

Matt's POV

"Are you comfortable sweetheart?" Dr. Nadia asked Chris, I could tell she was trying to tread lightly given Chris' outburst earlier. 

Chris gave a simple nodded, he was humming through his whimpers, I knew he was trying to fight the urge to cry again. His breathing sounded uneven, as he whined. I could tell he was becoming nervous with anticipation for what was to come. He was currently still sitting laying in the large hospital bed, I couldn't believe how small it made him look. Especially with the gown they had him change into, he looked pale and sickly. I'd be lying if I said I was nervous as well about what was happening. Being strong for Chris was my main goal but I couldn't ignore the anxious feeling that pulled at my chest. I listened intently as the Doctor explained what a blood gas sample test was, it sounded like a nightmare. When Nick was asking questions, all I could think was how unfair this was, how much I wanted to take Chris' place. I tried to brace myself for his enviable reaction. 

As Nick and the nurse continued to talk, I took a moment to talk with Chris. 

"You're alright, I'm going to be right here and Nick too," I ran my hand through his hair as I searched his face for tells into his state of mind. 

"I don't want to Matty, I wanna go home, I'm scared," his voice was a muted tone but I was so close to his face I could hear him perfectly. His admission of fear caused my entire body to shiver. A tightness wrapped around my heart. I had to focus on my own breathing for a second, to remain composed. 

"I know, I'm so sorry, but they said just one more test and we can go home okay?" I tried to reason, unsure of how I could offer more. I watched as he leaned into my touch as my hand pet through his curls. I could feel the sweat beads gathered at his hairline, presumably from his lingering fever. I hated knowing he was in pain, but the way his eyes closed had me confident my comfort was helping. 

"Can he sit in my lap? Is that possible?" I heard Nick ask the Doctor who was shuffling items on a silver medical tray beside him. 

"I'm sorry, for this I need to make sure his arm is laying flat," Dr. Nadia responded, "the bed will be the best option, I want to make sure his arm isn't jostling around during this procedure." 

"Okay, yeah, that makes sense, I just don't think this is going to happen if he isn't calm," Nick started, "and I don't think he will be if he's in the bed alone." 

"He doesn't have to be alone, both of you can be on his left there and comfort him as I work on the right side," I could tell Dr. Nadia was attempting to keep the peace best she could. 

"Okay, I understand," Nick looked over at me and we both smiled politely. Both taking a second to exhale out our anxieties. Nick moved in closer to me, pulling a chair over to sit directly to my left, the arms of our chairs touching. He joined me in trying to keep Chris calm as he began rubbing circles in Chris' open palm, then playing with his fingers. The three of us staying together like this for a while until Doctor Nadia announced she was ready for the test. 

+

"Chris, sweetheart, my hands might be a bit cold okay? I'm going to feel around your wrist okay?" Doctor Nadia's words fell on deaf ears as Chris was busy switching his focus from Nick and Matt, trying to focus on their soothing words. His attention was pulled when she added, "okay now you're going to feel a little pinch when I insert this but I want you to try and stay nice and still okay?" he couldn't help as his eye contact shifted from Matt to the needle about to make contact with his skin. A involuntary jolt rushed through his body, he felt lightheaded. 

"Don't look at her, look at me buddy, look right at me," Nick's voice coaxed him to look away from the syringe. He started feel the burn of tears pricking at his eyes as he grasped Matt's hand so hard he was surprised his brother was allowing it. 

His eyes squeezed shut when a piercing pain pulled his attention. In milliseconds it started to increase in severity, causing him to let out a muffled scream followed by his sobs that amplified in seconds. He didn't mean to be loud by the pain was nothing like anything he could've expected. The syringe continued to reach deeper into his artery filling with blood on it's way. The depths of the needle increased and Chris couldn't handle it anymore, he begged for the pain to end, "nooo, noo, please, it hurts," he cried out, the dull arch in his wrist was unbearable. He let himself sob, he heard the Doctor and his brothers try to speak to him but his mind exclusively focused on the pain. His cries filled the room as he chest heaved with unsteady breaths. Right before he felt like he was going to pass out, Doctor Nadia replaced the needle with a cotton pad. 

With a burst of energy, solely powered by adrenaline Chris immediately threw his arms in the direction of his brothers, reaching and desperately grabbing at them. Matt was the one who caught him first, being he was closest. In a swift, uncoordinated motion Matt moved himself onto the bed with Chris clinging to his body. His youngest brother was shaking, his small frame trembling in Matt's arms.  

"I know that hurt sweetie, but I do have to put some pressure on the site for a few minutes okay?" Doctor Nadia chimed in, "I'll let you get comfortable," she waited for Matt to find a position. 

"C'mere, I'm so sorry kid, I'm so sorry," Matt's voice was barely heard over the crying coming from his brother. Nick and Matt acted on pure instinct, both in utter shock at the scene that had unfolded. Matt finally got settled, laying in a half seated position on the hospital bed. He was propped up on his right side, a pillow underneath his shoulder. Chris was tucked securely into his chest, the youngest held onto the fabric of Matt's Fresh Love hoodie. With Chris' permission, Doctor Nadia reached over slightly and gently took hold of Chris' forearm, resting it on his hip. With the new angle she held the cotton pad on the injection site. Nick was standing over Matt on the other side, dancing his fingertips through Chris' hair where he could reach. The youngest was still completely engulfed in his own cries, although they were sounding quieter with him pressed into Matt's neck. 

"Okay, there we go," Doctor Nadia spoke as she placed a piece of tape over the cotton pad on Chris' wrist, "I'm going to take this sample and we should be back with results in an hour or so and you should be okay to go home then. Also, I'll be back in a few minutes with a juice and a cookie okay?" Her voice was soft. 

Chris was too immersed in his embrace with Matt to care about anything else. Once the Doctor left Nick joined his brothers by moving to Chris' other side. He was sat on the edge of the bed as there was a bit of room created when Chris turned his body into Matt's. Matt could feel the fabric of his hoodie become soaked as his brother cried into his chest. "I'm sorry, I'm sorry," Chris repeated in between sobs. Matt just held him tighter, whispering sweetly into his ear. His one hand was tangled in Chris' sweaty hair and his other occupied his brothers back. Matt gently rocked himself and Chris back and forth, hoping it would ease his brother's cries. Nick had begun running his hand up and down the side of Chris' torso. They stayed like that, helping Chris de-escalate. 

"I have a cookie here, and some juice," Doctor Nadia poked her head in the door and set the items on the counter. 

"Thank you," Nick smiled at her. 

Part 3? As always let me know your thoughts! xx