Chapter 17

(Inside the RARO hospital, Shahid sits in his office, going through patients' files.)

SHAHID: Why is Preethi taking so long to arrive? Did she forget about her appointment today?

(Shahid picks up the office phone and dials a number.)

SHAHID: Hello, nurse. Has Preethi arrived yet? No? Okay, can you contact her parents and check on her appointment? Thank you.

(He hangs up the phone and continues reviewing the files. Suddenly, there's a knock on the door, and he gestures for the person to come in. Nisha, a young woman doctor, enters the room and greets Shahid.)

NISHA: Good morning, doctor.

SHAHID: Good morning, Nisha! What's up?

NISHA: It's my birthday today! So, I wanted to share a piece of cake with you.

(Nisha extends a box of cake to Shahid with a smile.)

SHAHID: Oh, happy birthday, Nisha.

(Shahid shakes her hand and takes the box, opening it to have a taste.)

NISHA: Alright, doctor, I'll go check on the patients now.

SHAHID: Okay.

(As Shahid takes another bite of the cake and closes his eyes, savoring the flavor, he looks at Nisha.)

SHAHID: Where did you get this cake from?

NISHA: Oh, it's from Janani Bakery Shop! It's just near our hospital, doctor.

SHAHID: Oh, please send me the address of that bakery on WhatsApp. The cake tastes amazing.

(Shahid licks his fingers, and Nisha watches him with admiration.)

SHAHID: I should visit the baker who made this cake!

(Nisha smiles and nods.)

NISHA: Yes, she's really talented! You can order any flavor of cake, and it will always be delicious. That's the specialty of that bakery shop!

(Shahid smiles at Nisha and adds.)

SHAHID: I agree! She's incredibly talented... Alright, thanks for the delicious cake, Nisha, and once again, happy birthday.

NISHA: Thank you, doctor. Have a great day.

SHAHID: You too.

(Nisha leaves the room, and Shahid continues to focus on the files. Soon, the office phone rings, and he answers the call.)

SHAHID: Hello, RaRo Hospital! Oh, I see. Please start the blood test immediately and don't forget the ECG. Have Preethi's parents arrived with her? Okay! Ask Resha to go to Preethi's room right away, and I'll join them. Alright.

(He hangs up the call, gathers some files, stands up from his chair, and exits the room, heading towards the testing room.)

(As time passes, Shahid sighs, closes the files, and leans back in his chair.)

SHAHID: Tomorrow, Mika has an operation. I need to check on her before the procedure.

(Shahid leaves his office and walks towards the elevator. He presses the button and enters the lift. As he reaches the 7th floor, he walks towards room 34, opens the door, and enters.)

SHAHID: Good afternoon, Mika.

(He pauses as he sees Mika, the patient, and two girls feeding her cake. Mika quickly swallows the cake upon seeing the doctor, and the two girls look at Shahid in shock.)

SHAHID: What on earth is happening here?

(He clenches his jaw and approaches the girl who was feeding Mika, swiftly taking the plate of cake from her and giving her a stern glare.)

SHAHID: This patient is not allowed to have cake. She has salmonellosis. And you, Mika, I've already given you a detailed list of what you can and cannot eat. What is this?

SHRUTHI: I'm sorry, it's my fault... Today is her birthday, and I wanted to surprise her with cake and gifts.

(The girl who was feeding Mika explains, and Shahid rolls his eyes and raises his voice.)

SHAHID: So what? Can't you celebrate her birthday without cake? There are plenty of healthy food options! At the very least, you should have waited until she was discharged! She has an operation tomorrow! What if something goes wrong?

MIKA: Doctor, please don't scold her. I was the one forcing her to-

(Shahid immediately interrupts.)

SHAHID: Eating whatever you want is not allowed here unless it's part of your treatment plan! We're doing our best to find a solution for your health, and yet you're intentionally creating more problems for yourself.

SHRUTHI: We're sorry, doctor! I promise I won't let her have cake again. Please, I apologize.

SARAH: Yes, doctor, please forgive us.

SHRUTHI: Tomorrow, she's having an operation, so we just wanted to make her happy. It wasn't intentional.

(Shruthi apologizes to Shahid, and he takes a deep breath, then nods.)

SHAHID: Alright! This is your last chance, and only one person can stay with her. Two people are not allowed to take care of her or be present during tomorrow's operation. Mika, start your fast at 2 am, and the operation is scheduled for 8 am, understood?

(Mika nods, lowering her head, and her friend also nods.)

SHAHID: And this cake is unnecessary.

(He walks to the trash bin and discards the cake, along with the plate and spoon. Shruthi watches the way he throws the cake and looks at him, feeling frustrated, and Said leave the room)

SHRUTHI: How dare he just throw the cake like that? Doesn't he understand the value of food?

(Shruthi vents her frustration to her friend, and the two friends nod in agreement.)

SARAH: You see, he's a doctor... He probably earns a fortune, so a cake like this means nothing to him!

MIKA: Yeah, the attitude of rich people.

SHRUTHI: Taking care of Mika's health is one thing, but how could he just throw the cake like that? Do you know how it feels when he does that? It seriously makes me want to punch him in the face.

(Mika looks at Shruthi, leans her head on Shruthi's shoulder, and laughs.)

MIKA: Calm down. He's the doctor who will be operating on me tomorrow.

SHRUTHI: That's why I'm keeping quiet.

(Sarah jumps onto the bed, hugging both Shruthi and Mika.)

SARAH: Alright, let's forget about it and enjoy the moment.

(Shruthi and Mika nod, smiling.)