Holy Matrimony

Author : RiddhiDRut
I have been asked to do a review of this book by a reader. So here I go.

Well the first thing which I would like to say is that I felt like I was reading a daily soap rather than a novel. I could straight away compare it with the starting episodes of Saath Nibhana Saathiya and two or three other serials of that category. 

Let's start with the story. The basic plot is that an extremely beautiful,  sanskari, agyakari girl marries a rich, ruthless and arrogant guy who doesn't want to be in love with her, due to his past and she willingly marries him and tries to win him. Clichéd right? It is the plot of almost all the arranged marriage novels. So, no newness here.

Let's talk about the characters. There are some characters whom I liked Abhi, her mother in law and even the hero a bit, before the author makes him fall for the girl. The heroine did not impress me. I would say that she seemed to be too good and traditional to be true. She was like those illiterate bahu shown in Indian daily soaps. I wish she could be shown as someone who is modern, independent and intelligent because most of the businessperson want to have a wife with modern outlook. Other thing I would like to ask, why is she being shown as delicate? Are women like expensive bone China crockery that they are delicate and one touch can break them? No right, then why this delicacy bullshit? I am literally pleading to the Wattpad authors to have strong heroines.

Now lets talk about the writing. Grammar, punctuation and spelling errors are too much which brings this clichéd story down. Saying that English is your third language is no way to escape. There are many Gujarati people here who have better English than me. English is not my first language as well but that doesn't mean that I do very basic grammar and spelling mistakes. Still I spend almost half an hour editing what I have written. So if you don't have a good English, take help of an Editor, or use MS Word or any other such app. No excuses for a sloppy grammar.

In all I would like to say that this book is not the accurate representation of a modern Gujarati family and it doesn't show them in very good light. I was disappointed with this novel very much. Poor story and plot, daily soap like characterisation and sloppy grammar makes it quite an irritating read.

Overall rating :3/10