Being Settled

I suppose all of you must have heard about getting settled down in the terms of marriage. The statement, "You are 23/24, you have a job, now you should get married and settle down", is commonly heard from Indian parents and society, especially for girls. Now what I want to actually ask is, why only marriage is associated with being settled in life? Why a person who has a good job profile, a good salary, own house(even though the individual has taken a loan) is not considered to be settled? That especially goes for ladies as they are constantly asked the question about their planning to get married and settle down. In reality, can I, or anyone else, truly settle down,without completing our goals?

Marriage is not the most important or prime thing in many people's life. Some, including me, don't even believe in the institution of marriage. For all those people who believe that marrying and having kids is the ultimate settling down, my advice is  to think again. Your quality of life is not fully determined by marriage. Of course, marrying the right person makes a lot of difference, but not all the difference in your life. I think giving utmost importance to marriage has somewhat lead to demeaning of females. It has enforced the age old saying, 'Ladki paraya dhan hoti hai.' Because of this mentality, parents still don't want to spend much on the girl's education. They get their married as soon as possible and don't help her even when she needs help getting away from abusive marriage giving this logic. Your daughter is your gem. Wherever she goes, she would remain your daughter, so never ever turn your face away from her. I am not saying interfere, but rather be with her whenever she needs you.

I am diverting from the topic but I just wanted to say it. Fixing arranged marriages in India is like auctions. Just like a thing in auction is advertised, the girl is also advertised in front of the groom's family. Just like before auctions the thing is fully repaired, similarly the girl is fully dressed up and made up, hiding all her flaws. And after that the more price the family is ready to give, the more buyers or I should say prospect grooms she would get.

Author's note: I know I came back after a long time, but believe me I wasn't having any good ideas. Also semesters were taking up my time. Now as I have some good ideas as well as time, so I will regularly post.