Some Common Mistakes

There are many authors on Wattpad who write extremely good but still stop getting votes, comments of readers after sometime. This article is about them. Before going on to my points of interest let me define you all Entertainment Quotient.

Entertainment Quotient is basically whether your book is entertaining enough to engross and bound the readers to your book. Don't make it synonymous with Bollywood Masala type novels.

1. Lack of Entertainment Quotient: You are writing for the people to read. So if your book doesn't invoke interest amongst the readers, or in other words bores them, no matter how good the writing style is, it won't get the readers.

2. The character army: In one of the books I read, after every one or two chapters, a new character is introduced and in that the individuality dies out. Secondly it becomes too tiring for people to figure out about every character and establish links between all of them in the story. I really don't understand how the writers write so many characters without getting confused.

3. Not writing in natural style: In one of my books, The Backfired Plan, I didn't write what came to me naturally and the result was a mess to edit. Write freely.

4. Incorrect spacing of paragraphs: Yeah this is a major factor that puts at least me off. Leave a line after you finish and then start off with next. Also don't make the paragraph too long because it becomes too difficult for me as a reader to highlight the good point, and point out the mistakes.

5. Dragging and standstill: There are many stories which contain draggy description of scenes as well as emotions. The thing which requires four lines, they do it in a page. This is an era of limited word stories and so no one is interested in pages of description.

Now let me come to standstill. Standstill basically means here that your story doesn't progress after a point. I have an apt example of it but I don't want to embarass the writer here, so won't mention here.

6.,Unnecessary sequels: There are many novels in which sequel is not at all needed. Alterations in the first novel can do the thing and close the story. When I read a sequel, I expect it to be as the first. But often than not people can't live up to my expectations and the results are a draggy, bore novel which I leave after first chapter.

7. Irregular updates: I am a culprit of this. It is the best way to snatch the readers away from your work. This is an annoying thing as it makes me keep waiting for your work and I eventually leave it.

I am not enforcing anything here. It is just people ask why do I leave midway. Hope it helps, keep writing.