3 - Not in Kansas anymore

I can't understand why my bed is so uncomfortable and open my eyes, only to scream. There, dangling right above my head is a spider. I swear I could be an athlete with how fast I just moved.

Stood amongst the ancient trees, the events of yesterday rush back. Did I really meet a unicorn?

There is no sign of the mysterious old man, so maybe I just dreamed him. Still, I am so desperate to get out of these woods that I'm willing to follow his directions. Hmm, North or East?

Aha! I scrabble in the backpack and pull out the compass that dad gave me. I choke, remembering happy memories of us orienteering together. Holding it out in a shaking hand, I slowly shift position until the needle points north, and then start walking.

Despite the loneliness, there is a certain peacefulness to the place. It is almost like I can breathe properly for the first time in ages and am slowly detoxifying after years of living in London.

Losing track of time, I am startled by a flash of vibrant blue as a bird flies across my path. It lands by a thicket laden with what looks like large raspberries. My stomach grumbles at the sight of the bird pecking at the fallen fruit.

There is only one cereal bar left and who knows when I will next find food. I hesitate, then decide to take a risk given that the plants have vicious thorns so are unlikely to be poisonous. Welcome juice explodes in my mouth and I greedily consume a handful, before catching movement out of the corner of my eye.

I freeze and stare wide-eyed as little men, maybe half a foot tall, frantically clamber within the thicket, sliding down thread-like ropes. Tiny baskets woven from dried grass, just the right size to hold a single fruit, go tumbling to the ground. 

A nervous laugh bubbles in my throat. Am I hallucinating? 

One of the little men gets stuck on a curved thorn and dangles precariously, his arms and legs flailing. Vision or not, I can't not help him out, so I carefully unhook him and place him in my palm. I can feel his body vibrate with terror and so speak softly, trying to reassure him that I mean no harm.

He speaks in a high-pitched, quavering voice, "W-w-what d-do ye want?"

"I'm lost. I am just trying to find my way out of these woods."

"Ye not be a pixie-eating giant then?"

"I promise." I place my free hand over my heart. "I'm Elle."

He eyes me warily, his gaze flicking towards the ground and back again. Evidently deciding that he is not on the menu, he introduces himself, "My name be Leaf."

A dark blue squirrel-like creature, with a long fluffy tail, bounds over and chitters around my feet, scolding me. I slowly bend down and gently place Leaf on the ground next to it.

"Would you like me to pick some fruit for you? Your friends seem to have dropped theirs."

"Friends? Pah!" Leaf shakes his head at the abandoned baskets. "Ye be kindly."

Once I have filled my empty sandwich box with berries, Leaf climbs onto the creature's back. It bounds off and stops periodically to ensure that I am keeping up. Less than an hour later we reach a grove of tall graceful silver birches and I am greeted by an enchanting scene from a fairytale.