80 - Bereft

Kai's PoV

I kick the body of that filthy elf out of the way and am held spellbound by Elissa, who looks as glorious as a goddess. The way the flames delicately caress her body has my own flames whispering seductively to be set free.

Then I remember that the ones who sought to harm her are still breathing and that is something which I just cannot allow to continue. Blinking back the flames of lust, I spin to face them. There are seven of them in total. Grasping my sword with both hands, flames rush along the blade and I leap forward, ready to mete out my fury.

Several of them set upon me all at once. They are slippery little worms, but neither my vengeance nor my sword will be denied. It slices through them, severing limbs and one by one, they fall. Out of the corner of my eye, I notice a coward trying to escape. Antares, lend a claw, would you.

It would be a pleasure. The dragon simply roars out a torrent of fire, leaving a vaguely humanoid black outline against the trunk of a large beech tree.

Almost too soon, it is over. Blood and body parts litter the ground. Evidently, I was a little sloppy, for one tries to crawl away. At my signal, Antares pounces onto the stricken elf and starts merrily crunching away on its bones. Thankfully the piercing screams are soon cut off, for surely, the sound would give me a headache.

The enemy eliminated, I turn back to my goddess, who appears a little pale. I want to scoop her into my arms, where she belongs, however, before I reach her, Cain and Cade stroll through the trees.

Looking around the carnage, Cain whines, "You could have left some for us."

Elissa's pallor takes on a greenish tinge and she turns away. "Oh no!"

She points to the beech tree, where flames are licking across the aged limbs towards its neighbours. "Is there any way we can stop the fire from spreading?"

At a loss, I consult with Antares, Do you have any suggestions?

Ah, I may have been a bit overzealous. He sounds chagrined. I suppose that I could uproot the tree and dump it in a river, which is not far from here.

It sounds sensible to me, however, when I propose it to Elissa, she shakes her head. "Let me try something before doing something so drastic."

Closing her eyes, her flames recede, which is probably for the best, and her hair gently ripples around her like a waterfall. While I do not wish to disturb her, I cannot see this helping. Moments later, I am forced to concede I was wrong when a shimmering serpentine object weaves its way through the trees towards us.

She raises her arms and what can only be described as a giant snake made from water, opens a gaping mouth. It engulfs the burning branches and with the hissing of a hundred serpents, the flames are smothered. Painfully, I pull back my fire, while my heart falls a little further.

Elissa wobbles slightly and appears close to fainting. After making sure that it is clean, I hold out a steadying hand. "Come, my princess. Let me get you away from this place."

The fight has gone out of my goddess and left a fragile beauty in its wake; one that I am willing to protect to my dying breath. I help her onto Antares's back and wrap my arms around her. There is no protest from my oft-contrary princess. She just closes her eyes and rests her head against my chest.

......

The ride is too short, as I am not ready to relinquish my hold of Elissa. Alas, the trees beneath us thin out to reveal a rash of pale canvas tents against the green prairie. Antares descends and lands at the edge of the camp.