35 - The wild hunt

(Elissa's PoV)

Torbjorn is seated on a massive black charger and appears the epitome of a pagan king. Upon his head are huge ceremonial antlers of a stag and his bare torso is painted with swirling green patterns. A dark green velvet cloak flows over his back and onto his mount.

Leo and Aren immediately flank their father. They too are bare-chested, with similar green markings painted on their skin and upon their heads are wreaths of ivy. Behind them, the gentlemen of the court are mounted, each carrying a bow or spear.

An ancient horn sounds, rumbling through the air and causing the horses to stamp excitedly.

The king's voice rings out, "Let Cernunnos look favourably upon us during this hunt."

Tabbi and I are right at the front of the crowd to see them off. The king leads the riders into the woods and we grab each other as the ground vibrates with their hoof beats.

It is quite a spectacle and I must admit that the feral edge to one blue-eyed prince is sending my heart all a flutter. Out of the corner of my eye, I notice that Tabbi's attention is fixed elsewhere.

Once the dust settles, literally, I challenge, "Ok, spill." She looks at me completely blankly, so I clarify, "Who has caught your eye?"

Tabbi blushes and her gaze flickers about at the ladies of the court, who are still milling about.

She grabs my hand and brightly says, "Let us go and see how baby Storm is doing."

At only four days old, the foal shows no signs of his traumatic start. He is still skinny, but he is starting to fatten and his eyes are bright. He bounds over on spindly legs and allows me to fuss him as I lean over the wall of his enclosure.

His sleek hair is a dark charcoal grey, making the white blaze on his nose even more startling. I know they normally change colour as they age, but it would be wonderful if he stayed like this.

I shudder, remembering the devastation I felt looking down at his forlorn, motionless body. However, I refused to give up on him. I'm not sure whether it was the mouth-to-mouth resuscitation or my apparent talent for healing, but he made it.

Turning away from the distraction of Storm, I focus on Tabbi. "Sooo, who is it that you like?"

Tabbi flushes and picks at hay from the rack, whist mumbling, "Drake."

"Really?" My tone is so full of shock that I feel the need to soften it with an encouraging smile.

"He is so handsome and so refined." She sighs. "I think he just sees me as 'little Tabbi'."

A while back I would have been horrified, but since the 'maze incident' I have seen the gentlemanly side of Drake come out. He is nothing like his twin sister Belinda, in fact it is hard to believe that they are related, let alone shared the same womb.

"I think that you two would make a cute couple."

"But there is talk about holding a ball to celebrate Leo becoming a man. He turned thirty while Aren was ... was away."

"Isn't a ball a good thing? I mean, the music and dancing. Surely that will help get in the mood for romancing?"

"There are bound to be many beautiful women at the ball. How am I ever going to compete?"

"Well, we just need to find a way of getting him to notice you before then."

.....

Fire licks the huge wooden pyres, sending flames leaping high into the moonless sky. The scent of smoke and roasting meat fills the air. The quarry from the men's hunt is providing the meat for tonight's feast.