60 - Muse

(Elissa's PoV)

It is slightly warmer today and the last lingering pockets of snow have melted. Outside there are the first signs of spring, with brave snowdrops emerging from the barren soil, their heads bowed as if in prayer for warmer days.

I wander about the palace grounds, almost alone, but with the shadow of Alex just a few steps behind me. It rankles, for I am afforded neither solitude nor company. A fragrant scent draws me to a daphne bush and I stop to admire the winter blooms.

Out of the corner of my eye, I study Alex; tall, ever-watchful and poised for action. With a sigh, I meander over to what looks like a small Greek temple in gleaming marble. Three side are open, punctuated with doric columns holding up the roof.

It is gloomy inside the temple, except for the bands of light across the tiled floor. There is a mural on the back wall and I can make out the elven tree of life, but not all the detail. As I am studying it, I sense, rather than hear a presence just behind me.

It isn't Alex, but someone more powerful. Their magic grates across my consciousness bringing with it the threat of dagger-like teeth. In response my own magic stirs like a beast; I can almost hear its talons clicking as it readies to come out and play.

I spin around to find my uncle, Antares, looming over me, his red eyes gleaming maliciously. I don't get the impression that he has a friendly family reunion in mind.

"Can I help you?" I don't bother with pleasantries.

"I came to give you some friendly advice. Do not think that you will ever be accepted by the dark court."

Firstly, 'friendly', seriously don't make me laugh. Secondly, I want nothing to do with your court.

I do not actually respond, but when the air thickens to the point of making it hard to breathe, I am unable to stop the thing inside me from lashing out. Antares stumbles backward into a column and presses his hand to his chest, examining it as if expecting blood.

With a murderous expression on his face, he goes to take a step forward when a sword swings across his chest, blocking his way.

Antares turns to see Alex standing there, and snarls, "How dare you threaten me."

"I answer to the queen. I will protect the princess, even against the likes of you." Alex manages to make the 'you' sound like 'lowlife' and then bows her head, adding a respectful, "Your Highness."

Antares would evidently like to do us both harm, but instead slinks off. Once he has gone I feel a little faint.

Alex sheaths her sword and surprises me by calling out an elven word I don't know. Thousands of points of light flicker to life across the ceiling of the temple and I realise that they form a masculine figure.

"In the common tongue he is known as the Father of the Heavens." Alex points to the far wall. "His consort is Gaia, the earth mother."

Now I can see that the landscape beneath the tree of life takes the form of a reclining feminine figure; her curves made from hills and valleys and her long hair, a flowing stream.

"It is said that together they created Elysium." Alex offers me a very rare smile before duty once more comes to the fore. "I think it time to return to your father."