34 - Storm

(Aren's PoV)

I enter my parent's chambers to find them both seated, wearing serious expressions.

Father steeples his fingers. "The reports from Gawain are most troubling. I will hear from all sides before making any judgements. We are most aggrieved by accounts of your dangerous outburst."

My anger flares and without thinking I protest, "I was protecting my female." I berate the tiger, Really not helping here!

Father raises an eyebrow but does not pass comment.

Mother looks momentarily taken aback. "Aren, you realise that you will have to wait until Elissa is of age before you can..."

"I will be honourable, mother," I quickly interrupt, embarrassed at having this conversation with her. Placing my hand over my heart, I swear, "You have my word."

The conversation then turns to Drake and Belinda. It wounds me that my greatest friend after Leo, could deign to consider harming my beloved. Although Elissa immediately forgave Drake, I am not so sure I can put it behind me so easily.

Certainly, I will not be quick to forgive Belinda for hurting my favourite little cousin. Personally, I have never really considered Belinda attractive. When we were eight solars old she decided that we should get married. At the time I ran off and really have not stopped running since.

Mother wrings her hands. "I feel I have let my niece down."

Father takes her hand in his and rubs his thumb in soothing patterns. "Thanks be to Elissa that we can resolve this unpleasantness. Now my darling, allow me time with our son. I shall not be long. Go and await me in our bedchamber." His voice holds an edge of promise.

Mother blushes and I mentally shudder.

As soon as they are alone, he quips, "So, your female?"

I squirm. "That was the tiger. I have it under control."

He puts a fatherly arm around me. "When an Animage reaches manhood there is no distinction between our forms and we are one. Until then our heads can be a little crowded. I remember when I first met your mother. My bear insisted on the attraction, whereas I was wayward and more interested in light flirtations. It took me some time to realise that Ulrica was the one for me and even longer to convince her. You at least have an accord."

"Then I have your blessing to officially court Elissa?"

He grins. "Most definitely, she suits you well, my son. Your mother will no doubt insist on chaperones."

At my groan, his blue eyes twinkle. "I will continue to turn a blind eye to your night-time trysts so long as they remain innocent."

I blanch, for I did not realise that he was aware of me flying up to Elissa's balcony each night. Does anything get past him?

...............

Father was correct. Since declaring my intent to court Elissa, we are accompanied every damned where. Like right now, we have been out riding with my brother.

Once inside the stable, I jump down and help Elissa dismount. I keep an eagle eye on Smoke though. One could be forgiven for thinking him a changed animal, but the blasted horse still has a tendency to kick and bite.

"I am going to walk back, very slowly." Leo gives me a wink. "Do not dally too long. I do not care for the look of those clouds."

Bless my brother! I seize upon the opportunity and usher Elissa up the ladder into the hay loft.