44 - Home is where the heart is

(Aren's PoV)

Elissa is pale and the normal sparkle is missing from her eyes. I think that she has had quite enough revelations for one day, so I stand decisively and hold out a hand to her.

"I am going to escort Elissa back to her room." My tone leaves no room for disagreement and father simply nods.

I tuck her hand in the crook of my arm and we walk in silence. Once at her door, I cannot possibly leave her alone, so take a seat on the chaise and pull her onto my lap. She snuggles against my chest, fitting so well within my arms. Still she does not speak, but I am happy just to be there for her.

After a while, she gazes up at me and finally breaks her silence. "I have so many questions, Aren. Who are my parents? Am I really descended from royalty? Where is the Light and will I ever find it? Am I in danger from the king? Could I be putting you all in danger?"

I place a finger on her lips.  "Shhh. You cannot torture yourself."

There is a knock at the door and a servant enters bearing a tray of food. "Prince Aren, King Torbjorn thought that you might require some refreshments."

"That is thoughtful. Lady Elissa is not feeling well." I direct the man to put the tray on a table in front of us.

Even though Elissa turns her nose up at the food, I persevere and hand-feed her a morsel. The eagle happily ruffles spectral feathers. I like providing for my mate.

"What is it?" she queries.

I cannot hold back a grin. "I enjoy feeding you."

"Well, that honey pastry looks tempting."

Breaking off a piece of the sticky confection, I quickly ferry it to her mouth, honey dripping from my fingers. Capturing my wrist, she slowly sucks my fingers one by one, all the time maintaining eye contact.

The nurturing presence of the eagle is pushed aside by the passionate tiger, bringing us into dangerous territory. "Are you trying to test my resolve?"

"Why? Are you thinking impure thoughts?" There is a wicked glint in her eyes. My own eyes, I am sure are showing signs of hazel.

With a twist, I manoeuvre our bodies so that she is lying caged beneath me. Nibbling at her earlobe, I confess in a husky tone, "I am thinking how I would like to cover you in honey and slowly lick it off."

Let us remove these annoying layers and try it now, the tiger urges.

No, we must wait. I insist, remembering how I promised my parents that I would be honourable.

"Your birthday cannot come soon enough. Though I warn you..." I press down against her. "...we may never leave my chambers."

It gets hard to think straight when she arches up teasingly against me. "Why? Do you plan to keep me chained to your bed, bare foot and preg...?"

She shrinks back and the playful air falls away from her face. I can see that some dark thought has entered her mind. The eagle, once more in ascendance, insists, We must see to our mate.

"Please tell me what troubles you," I entreat.

She looks away and mumbles, "I'm, I don't even know what I am and you, you're an Animage."

Gently cupping her cheek, I turn her face so I can see her expression. "I do not understand your concern."

"What if, one day, we want to..." She closes her eyes as if afraid of my response and finishes in a barely audible whisper, "... to have a baby?"