61 - Quandary

(Elissa's PoV)

I immediately recognise Cosmos's aura. It is the first time that he has visited my dreams since that vision. Part of me wants to ignore him, while the other part is seething with anger and wants to confront him.

I'm still deciding when his voice rings out, "Elissa, you need to leave Alfheimr."

Anger is victorious; I throw back the covers and leap up to face him.

"Need!" My voice holds an edge of menace. "Why should I listen to you? How many lives must you destroy? I hold you at least partially responsible for my mother's death. Then you send the Light away and the whole of Elysium suffers."

"I know that I failed in life. I am trying to make amends in death." He slumps, a defeated man, my words cutting him as effectively as any blade.

I feel a bit bad, but push as I have the advantage, "Where is the Light?"

"You will find the Light when the time is right."

The ground rumbles beneath our feet. "I am fed up with your evasions! Where is the Light?"

He gives a little smile, which just infuriates me more. Blue electricity sparks across my skin. "You find this amusing?"

He holds up an appeasing hand. "No, it is just that your powers are starting to manifest and it is a sight to behold. I cannot tell you how to find the Light, only guide you on the right path."

I calm, though still eye him with suspicion. He takes this as a sign to continue. "I thought that you would be protected at Alfheimr. I admit I underestimated my son's cunning. He was not supposed to witness what he did and now he will be even more determined to capture you, though he will not so easily trick Celestia a second time. I fear that if we do not act soon then she will have you secured tightly within the White Palace."

I flinch. This place already feels a little too much like a cage for my liking and I protest, "But I have Alex guarding me."

"The light elves are always ruled by a queen. Celestia has borne only sons. If she is unable to produce an heir herself then you, as her direct descendant, might bear the next queen. I have no doubt that Celestia will do everything in her powers to secure you in a union with a light elven noble."

"W-what about Aren?" My voice quavers.

"An impossibility if you remain here." After allowing that to sink in, Cosmos continues. "I am also deeply troubled by Morpheus's personal interest in you."

Guiltily, I recall that kiss. For a moment I had taken all leave of sense and had responded to the siren's call. He has not tried anything in the intervening days, barely even noticed my presence, so I'm convinced that he was just messing with my head. "What do you mean?"

"Initially I thought he was taking a similar approach to Celestia and would try to secure you in a union with a dark elven noble. However, he appears to be courting you for himself."

I scoff, "That is ridiculous. He's my ..." I stop to work it out. "My great uncle?"

"Elissa." He pats my shoulder in a fatherly way. "You are of royal blood. You may have the appearance of a light elf, but the dark elven blood within you is exceptionally powerful. Furthermore you are..." His cheeks colour slightly and he clears his throat before continuing, "... highly fertile. Many will seek your hand. It would be an unconventional union, although not without precedent. I advise that you do not allow yourself to be alone with Morpheus."

Yeah well, that might be easier said than done.

"I have a plan. Leave Alfheimr under the cover of night. There is a tributary not far from the Eastern Gate. If you can make your way there, then the nymphs can carry you away. Send your servant on ahead to secure a horse for you."