8 - Did someone yell for a hero

(Zane's PoV)

I thunder into the alleyway and my fists clench at the sight before me. My new ward is bound against the wall with tears streaming down her cheeks and my best friend, though I would never call him that to his face, is kneeling with a sword against his throat.

Flames simmer beneath my skin and I conjure a ball of fire in my palm, lobbing it at the dark elf and knocking him sideways. Not giving him a chance to recover, I throw a succession of fireballs at the fiend and drive him backwards.

"She is mine. I will be back," the dark elf snarls and runs off.

I give chase but the damned elf is too fast and I soon lose sight of him. Rattling off a string of curses, I head back to the alley and discover that Elle is still bound. "Are you alright, little one?"

She nods, blinking back tears, evidently trying to be brave. Regret sours in my stomach. I should have been there for her. If he has hurt her, I will hunt him down and kill him.

I make quick work of the rope binding her, then turn to face Darish to berate him for not freeing her, but the chastisement dies upon my lips. Darish is still kneeling on the floor, clutching an arm to his chest and there is a growing patch of red blooming on the pale linen of his shirt and his face is a ghostly white.

Elle brushes off her own ordeal and rushes over to our stricken friend. "I am so, so sorry Darish. This is all my fault."

When she places a hand upon Darish's arm, the elf winces and yet he insists, "No blame lies with you."

I cannot help wincing myself when she gently peels back his blood-soaked sleeve to reveal a large slash on the elf's forearm. Ooh, that has got to hurt.

I am surprised and impressed when she rips several strips from Darish's shirt and then calmly uses the material to methodically bandage the wound and stem the bleeding. Many girls would freak out or faint.

Once she has finished with Darish's dressing, she stands and I wonder if I spoke to soon for she stares wide-eyed at her bloodstained hands and then starts to wobble on the spot. I leap into action as her legs begin to buckle and catch her in my arms.

Cradling her like a child, I offer her comfort, "Hush now, little one. I have you."

Given that the colour is returning to Darish's face, I ask him for a favour, "I was due to meet a lady tonight, could you send my regrets? I will carry Elle back."

He nods and I gesture with my head to the address card in my shirt pocket.

.....

As I approach the tent, Roth bounds up and gently nuzzles at Elle, crooning in concern. What is amiss?

She was attacked by a dark elf.

Roth gives a low growl. I will rip him to pieces and char the remains if he dares come near her again.

I carry her into the washroom and place her down. With glowing hands, I warm a basin of water, having to take care not to boil it, for my flames rage within. I alternate between feeling useless and angry, as I watch her turn the water red and repeatedly scrub the washcloth against her neck.

Displaying as calm an exterior as possible, I put an arm around Elle's trembling form and guide her into one of the low seating areas. On the way I snag a bottle of firewater and two glasses with my free hand.

Once we are seated, I uncork the bottle with my teeth and fill the glasses, downing and then refilling mine, before pushing the other towards Elle.

With a shaking hand, she brings the glass to her lips and takes a tentative sip, but ends up having a coughing fit.