33 - Battlelines

(Elissa's PoV)

I love the ambiance in the library; shelf upon shelf of leather-bound books, cosy nooks and warm light streaming through stained glass windows.

Stretched out on a leather sofa, I look up from my compendium of poetry to see that Aren isn't reading, but is gazing at me instead, a lazy smile playing upon his lips. My heart flutters. He has been so romantic these past few days.

Gawain enters the library and upon noticing my book comments, "If you have an interest in poetry, I can recommend some collections."

"You know about poetry!" Aren is incredulous.

Gawain laughs, a hearty sound and winks at Aren. "You have much to learn, my young prince. Different battlefields call for different weapons. Do not forget about the exercise tomorrow, for we have an early start."

Recalling Tabbi telling me how Animages often morph between their different animal forms when they fight, I enquire, "Could I watch you train sometime?"

"Actually, we would benefit from your assistance tomorrow."

Gawain looks meaningfully at the clock. Sighing, Aren concedes that we had better get changed for dinner.

On the way back to my room, I hear a thwack followed a cry of distress coming from Tabbi's room. Without thinking, I rush into the room and find Tabbi cowering before Belinda, who is stood with her back to me.

"You are a disgrace. How dare you continue to consort with her?" Belinda's voice oozes with venom. "This is your final warning, Tabitha. Defy me again and your life will not be worth living."

Belinda raises her hand and her intent is clear. Tabbi trembles and fat tears drip down onto the carpet. In the next instant, I'm across the room in time to grab Belinda's wrist before she can strike my friend.

I have no idea how I moved so quickly, just that anger is burning through me. "Don't ever touch her again."

Wind howls in the chimney, causing the fire to crackle loudly and the flames to flare up. Belinda whimpers in pain and does not look so mighty or composed now. A typical bully, preying on those weaker yet unable to cope when someone fights back.

Releasing Belinda as if she is contaminated, I intone with a contempt-laden voice, "I thought you a great beauty, but beneath you are ugly and without grace. Men may covet your body, but if you do not change then one day you will awaken alone, because there is nothing to love."

Belinda sniffs and her bottom lip quivers as she cradles her wrist. I must have squeezed harder than I thought. She looks at me with a mixture of fear and hate before bolting out of the door.

I turn to Tabbi and with feather-light touch trace her blazing red cheek. "Let's get something cold on that."

Tabbi looks up in awe. "You defended me!"

"Of course I did. You are my friend. However, if spending time with me is causing you problems, I can keep my distance."

"No. I have been utterly miserable here. You are the only one making it bearable."

"Hey!" I wrap my arms around Tabbi and stroke her back. She is such a sweet girl. How could anyone hurt her?

"I just wish that I could go home," Tabbi moans, the epitome of misery.

"I can promise you that it will get easier. When..." I take a deep breath, about to touch on painful memories. "When I was twelve I had to move away and start again. I found solace in singing and made new friends."

"What happened?"

"I-I lost everything in a fire. My parents, my home ..." I choke up and the last part comes out as a whisper, "I don't know why I survived and still feel guilty."