65 - Waiting for a hero

(Elissa's Pov)

I awaken with the warmth of a body lying next to me. My senses tell me that it is not Darish. It feels like... like home? Warm lips find their way to the crook of my neck and a muscular arm wraps around me.

"Elissa, thank the gods that you are alright." Aren's voice is muffled against my skin.

Opening my eyes, I run my fingers through his golden mane-like hair. He pulls back to gaze down at me and the raw emotions displayed on his face nearly break me. Pain, relief, regret and love are all so evident. It is such a contrast from the emotionally stilted members of the elven court.

The skin around one eye is bruised. With a feather-like touch, I trace around it. "What happened? Did you get into a fight?"

He gives a wry smile. "I said something foolish and upset the one I love, who happens to be a very powerful Elemental. I awoke to find my room in disarray and that I had been hit by a flying object."

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to hurt you." My heart stutters and I nearly drown in those sky-blue eyes. "I wasn't sure if you would want to see me again."

Aren cups my cheeks. "I love you and I always will. I was frustrated, I still am. You are hundreds of miles away and I am so damned powerless to help you. I have barely been able to sleep since we fought and yet sleep is all I seek in the hope that I will see you again."

"I love you too. I would have come sooner, only I left Alfheimr a few days ago and have been travelling by night."

"Where are you now?"

"I don't know exactly. I'm staying in Darish's room in some hamlet in the eastern part of the elven kingdom."

Jealousy visibly flares through Aren and his voice hardens. "You are with another male?"

"Aren, it is not like that. He is just a friend and he has given up his bed for me."

"That does not mean that he does not wish to join you."

"I can assure you that there is nothing and never will be anything romantic between us."

There is such conviction in my voice that I witness the tension in his frame start to ease. Yeah, Darish really isn't the one to worry about. However, Morpheus, well, he is another matter. I really don't want to know what will happen if Aren ever finds out about him?

I close my eyes, as guilt gnaws away at me. I really hope that Aren and I can be together one day, only I fear that fate is trying to tear us apart. Soft lips press against mine like a balm to my frayed soul. Gentle at first and then more urgent, they chase away my demons.

......

Dusk is falling on our third evening when mine and Darish's horses clatter across the cobbled square. We stop in front of a large hostelry, with white-washed walls and high conical tiled roofs.

Darish slips to the ground and holds out his hand to help me dismount. "I will secure us rooms."

"Just one room tonight, for I will not be staying." My voice carries a soft, yet sombre lilt.

"I told you that I will not allow you to travel alone." He crosses his arms and stands there immovable.

"Last night, Cosmos came to me in a dream. He told me that a great warrior will arrive tonight and take me on the next stage of my journey."

Darish purses his lips, nods briskly and walks off to the building's entrance. I didn't mean to upset him. I'd rather travel with him than put myself into the hands of a stranger. However, things have not gone well when I have ignored Cosmos's council.