18 - Equinox

(Elissa's PoV)

I am surprised to find myself climbing through a window into a strange room. In the dim light, I can just make out a figure in bed. He is asleep but awakes with a start when I jump down into the room and I'm relieved to discover that it's Darish.

Holding a hand to his chest, he exhales deeply. "Thank the Mother that you have gotten here safely and in such good speed. I only arrived last night. Did you have any trouble?"

"Father sneaked me out. But the king, he..." I hang my head with shame, unable to look at him. "I am..."

Suddenly, I find myself lying in bed in a different room. Based on the wooden walls and ceiling, I'm in Darish's treehouse. Confused, I sit up too fast and feel woozy, edging on nausea.

"Elissa, you are in danger!" the voice of the old man, with the golden-yellow eyes, warns. "There are forces out to capture you. On the morrow, leave at first light. The dragon can fly you to safety."

"Go away, I need to sleep," I grumble.

Not feeling so good, coupled with the effort of keeping my eyelids open, sends me snuggling back under the covers.

"Child, you must heed my words."

I feel rather belligerent and answer back, "No, the festival is important to Darish. I am not leaving before then."

I start to drift off, but he shakes me. I stare up at him blearily noticing his clenched jaw. What has got his panties in a twist?

"Can you at least hide the locket?" His voice is laced with exasperation. "Put it in a safe place and say the word Celo."

.......

I awake to find Darish standing by my bed, with my favourite dragon cup in one hand. Sitting up, I am somewhat bemused to discover that I am still wearing yesterday's clothes. Everything after that second goblet of wine is rather hazy and I must admit that I can't actually remember coming home last night. I must have slept like a log.

I sip at the spiced tea and ask, "Are we going to practice shortly?"

"I already did some hours ago."

"Oh!" I can't keep the disappointment from my voice. Every morning we exercise together. "Why didn't you wake me earlier?"

"I thought it best to allow you rest. What do you recall of last night?"

"Er, I remember sitting with Zane in the tavern and then going to get some air." I screw up my face trying to concentrate, but draw a complete blank about the rest of the evening.

"You were... how shall I phrase this? Not quite yourself. Zane had to carry you home. You sang most of the way."

"Oh my god!" I hide my face in my hand.

"You also declared to Zane that you loved him, but apparently you would not touch him with a barge pole."

Peeking through my fingers, I can see that Darish is being totally serious. "Oops. Did I offend him?"

Darish shrugs. "Perhaps his ego is a little bruised. He is not used to a female being immune to his charms."

My stomach makes an audible rumble. As if I am not already mortified.

Holding out a hand, Darish helps me up and plucks a leaf from my hair. "Come, let us break your fast."

Flushing slightly, he releases my hand. "Elissa..." he starts, only to falter. "Mother has been hinting that we could be ... be something more." His eyes dart around the room, unable to look at me straight. "However, my feelings towards you are one of kinship."