53 - Dark dreams

(Elissa's PoV)

After my first two rather stressful first days at Alfheimr, the past few days have been far more relaxed. I have not had to contend with the court and have had a chance to get to know my father a bit better as well as spending time with Darish. I miss my friends in Arcadia, although I at least have the comfort of seeing Aren in my dreams.

Yesterday's dull, sickly-pink sky has yielded snow overnight and today there is not a single cloud to mar the azure firmament. I love winter days like this and yearn to go outside. "Father, do you fancy going for a walk?"

He looks up from an easel. "I regret that I really must finish this sketch." At my fallen face, he rings a bell and Darish appears. "Darish, accompany my daughter as she takes a turn around the grounds."

"Of course." Darish bows smartly and goes to fetch my cloak.

Suitably clothed, we step outside. The palace grounds have been transformed into a winter wonderland. A carpet of white blurs the lines between the pathways and the lawns, while frost paints bare stems in glittering brilliance.

One of the things I struggle with here at Alfheimr is that Darish is my father's servant. I see him as a dear friend and can treat him so when we are alone, but in public I have to remember my position. So rather than walking arm in arm as I would like, I stroll on ahead while he follows behind.

I stop to admire an elven statue encased in ice from a once-flowing fountain and then look up to see a figure in black on the path ahead. My heart becomes almost as frozen as the stricken statue for it is Nero and he is looking right at me.

A flicker of fear runs through me and I turn on my heels. Scanning the grounds for Darish, I'm dismayed to not see him anywhere and start to walk briskly back to my new home.

There is no sound of pursuit and yet every cell in my body screams that he is closing in behind.

Resisting the urge to look back, I get progressively faster until I'm running.

I reach the stairs leading to the front door and picking up my skirts, dash up them. My fingers close around the door handle and I exhale with relief. Too soon, for two hands slam into the door either side of me, caging me in.

Internally, fear and anger collide. Anger wins. I'm not his prisoner now. I refuse to be a victim.

Spinning, I turn to face him and demand, "Leave me alone!"

I shove at his chest, but the effect is somewhat spoilt as he seems as immutable as that statue.

"You ran!" He ignores my frosty stare and smiles. "Surely you wished to play? Do I get rewarded with a kiss from your sweet lips?"

The mere thought makes me want to gag. "Unhand me now, Nero."

My voice holds a strange resonance. Nero shivers and his eyes darken as he brings his body flush against mine.

Think, Elle. There must be servants around, I should raise the alarm. "I will scream."

"Such sweet promises," he purrs. In a sudden movement, his lips descend and his tongue invades my mouth as I open it to protest.

Before I have time to react, the world tilts.

I'm laid on a bed swathed in black silk sheets, wearing a front fastening black corset and long black skirts. The room is darkly gothic with the only colour coming from dark garnet curtains and a tarnished mirror.

Nero looms over me and the predatory look upon his face sends my stomach roiling. He loosens the ties at the bottom of the corset which reveal what appears to be a partially completed tattoo of a flower just below my navel. Where on earth did that come from?