58 - A truth uncovered

(Elissa's PoV)

Waking with a start, I detect a presence in my room and my heartbeat quickens. Is it Morpheus? Come on Elle, don't be silly. It can't be him, it's not even elven.

Cautiously opening one eyelid, I peek out and relief washes over me at the sight of Cosmos sitting on the edge of my bed.

"Elissa, it is time for a truth to be uncovered. I need you to share a vision with Celestia. Lucifer is scheming again."

"Can't you show her directly?"

He shakes his head, regret in his features. "I am bound to your fate. I can visit only your dreams. I think it is time that you learnt the truth."

"OK." The word 'how' is just forming upon my lips when he touches my forehead and I'm blinded by a bright light. Blinking against its radiance, I realise that it is morning and a stream of sunlight is shining down on my face.

.....

Over breakfast with my father, I broached the subject of needing to see the queen and now, only a few hours later, we are confronted with a door flanked by two androgynous guards. Mirroring my father's confident stance, I try to quell my nerves. I have no idea what this vision will be nor how to unveil it.

We are escorted into one of the queen's reception rooms, which is bright and airy, with large windows overlooking the formal gardens. She is the polar opposite of Morpheus with his tenebrous den of iniquity.

The queen rises and bends her forehead in greeting, first to her son and then to me.

Once we are all seated, I begin, "My queen, I have a message," I hesitate, "from Cosmos ... King Cosmos."

While Celestia remains impassive, I sense a disturbance in the airwaves.

"He no longer lives amongst us." The queen's tone is like one would use with a small child.

"Sometimes he visits my dreams. He has a vision that he wants me to share with you, only I don't know how."

Celestia gives me a calculating look before leaning forward and placing her fingertips to my temples, which causes a sensation of pressure, like the early stirrings of a headache. Minutes tick by with no result and she pulls away, a brief flash of fatigue showing on her face.

"Your mind is exceptionally strong. I think that we may require Morpheus to facilitate this." From the firm lines of her mouth, I infer that seeking the king's assistance is not something that she relishes.

Rising, Celestia crosses the room to an ornate mirror and calls out the king's name. The surface shimmers and ripples, but nothing seems to happen. After an interminably long wait, the mirror finally clears to show Morpheus. His hair is ruffled and he is wearing a black silk dressing gown and possibly nothing beneath it.

He yawns and stretches theatrically, the dressing gown gaping to reveal a sculptured chest. "What is it that you so urgently need to discuss with me? You know I do not like to be disturbed so early."

Celestia bristles, her calm exterior disturbed as if a pebble has been thrown into a still pool. "It is past mid-day!" she bites out with steely ice before becoming more contrite. "Princess Elissa has a vision she wishes to uncover. Could we prevail upon you?"

"If my princess demands my attention, then who am I to deny her?" His eyes catch mine, conveying a mixture of humour and something else. "Do you wish to come to my chambers?" he asks with a smirk.

"No, we are gathered here. Take the time you need to dress yourself." There is a slight snarky edge to Celestia's voice.

We sit and drink tea from dainty china cups while waiting for the king to make an appearance. Eventually, Morpheus sweeps into the room with damp hair and dressed in a loose, partially open black silk shirt and tight black leather trousers. He seems to be going for a 'rock god' look.