17 - Amongst the trees

(Darish's PoV)

Roth slows and we glide gracefully over the expanse of green marbled with swathes of amber and yellow. I point out the clearing to Zane and we descend between the giant trees to land on the forest floor. I take a deep breath and inhale the scents of the forest. I have been gone for too long.

Elissa stares wide-eyed at my home; a three storey wooden house, built by my father in between and around several tall trees. Wrap around verandas and large windows blur the distinction between inside and outside space; as it should be.

My parents walk down the curved wooden stairway to greet us. I notice the way Elissa's gaze keeps moving between me and my father; indeed to her we probably look more like brothers.

"My son." Mother rushes forward and envelopes me in a hug while I rather stiffly pat her back in response.

Releasing me, her eyes turn to Zane. "Handsome as ever. I assume you will be too busy breaking hearts to stay with us."

Zane winks in response. She certainly has the measure of him.

Finally, her focus moves to Elissa and her face lights up. I need to intervene before she gets the wrong impression.

"Mother," I sweep my arm to also encompass my father, who has remained silent, "Father, I would like to introduce you to my ward Elissa. Elissa, these are my parents."

"Elissa, You are most welcome. I was not expecting Darish to bring anyone home. Now come inside and have some tea. You must be tired after your journey." We are quite forgotten as mother links arms with Elissa and guides her up to the second tier, chattering along the way.

Sometimes I wonder at my parent's pairing for mother is rather bohemian for a wood elf, whereas father is stoic and quiet. However, one cannot predict who will cause your soul to sing and they have been happily married for several hundred solars.

Zane salutes. "I think that I will leave you to your family reunion."

I raise an eyebrow at him and watch as he saunters off toward the village. As I slowly ascend the stairs, my fingers slide along the smooth banister and I take time to savour the decorative carvings in the side of the structure.

Father's touch with wood is truly admirable. Alas it is not a skill that I have inherited. Instead I have mother's sensitivity to crystals.

At the sound of her scream, I run up the rest of the stairs taking them two at a time. I burst into the parlour to find Elissa unconscious, crumpled on the floor. I scoop her up and gently place her on the settee. As I hold her limp hand, I feel rather useless.

Mother is ashen and staring at a broken fragment of green crystal in her hand. "Her energy signatures were not aligned. I was just trying to help, but the crystal shattered and the shockwave sent us flying. I cannot understand for Tourmaline is a healing crystal." 

I am concerned to witness her rub her hip and enquire, "Are you hurt?"

"Just a little bruising from where I hit the wall."

She gives me a reassuring smile and when she notices mine and Elissa's conjoined hands, her smile broadens. I hastily release Elissa's hand, as if it is scolding and jump to my feet.

"Come now Darish, you should not pay any heed to the foolish stigma about elflings." Eyes twinkling, obviously recovered from her shock, she adds, "I am sure the Mother would bless your union."

I sigh. "She is practically a child. Moreover, what makes you think that she is an elfling?"

"I have a high sensitivity. That is why we live out here on the edge. Being too close to the others and all their chaotic energy levels gives me a headache." The mere thought has her massaging her temples.