39 - The white knight

(Aren's PoV)

I urge my muscles on. Elissa is in my sight, though she is being tricky, weaving through the trees and making it difficult to close the gap.

She nimbly jumps up onto the bent bough of an aged oak tree and to my amazement it rises up, taking her with it. As she leaps onto another branch, the bough comes crashing down. Cursing, I am forced to jump backwards to avoid being thwacked by it.

From the ground I track her as she makes her way above me, jumping between outstretched branches. If I wasn't feeling so aggrieved, I might admire her agility, but I could swear that the trees are out to get me. Branches snag at my clothes and roots writhe under my feet causing me to stumble.

Finally, Elissa lands with the grace of a cat and sprints across frosted grass towards the small stream that marks the boundary with the formal gardens. Without stopping, she glides over the frozen surface to the other side.

I charge after her, but once again curse as the thin surface cracks beneath my weight, plunging me ankle deep into ice-cold water.

More determined than ever, I push on, the sound of the gravel crunching under my pounding feet.

Elissa hops up onto the edge of an ornamental pond to avoid Gawain, who is standing on the path. The fountain freezes up and stutters to a stop. I jump up hot in pursuit. She is almost within my reach but as I pass the fountain, the ice thaws and rains frigid water down on me.

I growl. My female is using magic. Well, two can play that game. Let me free and I will see how my kitten fares, the tiger urges me to shift.

Do not be a dullard; your bulk will not work to our advantage, the eagle reasons.

Morphing into the eagle, I spread my wings, rising up and then silently swooping down, talons outstretched ready to grab hold of the back of her cloak. Just as I am about to make purchase, Elissa suddenly ducks down and I sail right over her.

Wheeling around, I make another pass and land before the entrance to the castle. Transforming back into a man, I stand with my hands on my hips and block her way.

Elissa screeches to a halt, breathing hard and her eyes flicker to the doorway behind me. Not breaking eye contact, I take the last few steps to bring us together. I crush my lips to hers and enfold her in my arms. She stiffens before melting into me and returning my passion.

A loud cough breaks my reverie and I reluctantly break away from our embrace to find that we have an audience. All the others are gathered around, as is Gawain who is standing there with his arms crossed and eyebrows raised.

I grin, too happy to be affected by Gawain's sourly expression. My buoyant mood dampens slightly when I notice that Drake has an arm around my cousin and is wearing an expression like a cat that has got the cream. Uncertain of this development, I decide that I will have to have a serious word with my friend later.

Elissa's words encroach on my silent mulling. "I would have won if Aren had not cheated and used magic."

I am incredulous. "But you used magic first."

"I didn't..." Elissa's expression goes from mild outrage to contrition and then she cups my cheek with her hand. "If I did, I was not aware. I admit that I wanted to win, but I would not have cheated on purpose."

.......

I march into my parent's reception room. I fail to comprehend what the issue is and am ready to argue my case. The tension in my shoulders eases to find the room empty.