27 - Company of wolves

(Elissa's PoV)

The bushes ahead rustle; a muzzle pokes through the greenery and out slinks a large, dark grey wolf. It fixes us with amber eyes. Behind and to the sides are more sounds of movement. Spinning around, I find that we are surrounded by six grey wolves.

"Aren!" I quaver.

The tiger's outline ripples, its body shrinks and the colour leeches out of its fur until a large blonde wolf is stood before me. Frankly, I would have preferred for him to have remained a tiger.

Unwilling to go down without a fight, I grab a branch and standing legs slightly apart, I brandish it preparing to defend myself should the wolves attack. 

The blonde wolf bares impressive looking canines and growls. The sound sends a thread of fear through me, even though I know that this is Aren. Possessively, he slowly circles around me, staring pointedly at all the other wolves.

The largest of the wolves starts to approach and Aren springs forward to meet it.  My heart feels like it's in my mouth and I have to fight the desire to shut my eyes tight to avoid the inevitable bloodshed.

To my utter amazement the other wolf lowers its head in submission and then they roll around together on the floor play fighting. What on Earth!

Hand on my hip, I cough. Aren bounds over and licks my hand. The other wolf approaches but stops when Aren turns and gives a low warning growl. 

The grey wolf's form shimmers and turns into a young man, a well armed one at that.  Laughing, he holds up his hands, as if in surrender.  "I mean her no harm, cousin." 

He takes my hand and kisses it. "Lord Conall, at your service, my lady." 

His eyes flicker to my state of partial undress, causing me to blush. He winks, then wordlessly unpins his cloak and wraps it around my shoulders.

Transforming back into a man, Aren immediately steps between us, effectively blocking my view of Conall. Instead I am faced with Aren's bare back and a rather nicely toned back it is too. Oops, not a time to get distracted, Elle.

Conall simply moves so that he can see both of us. "Aren, are you going to introduce me to your lovely companion?"

"Con, this is Elissa. I owe her my freedom. Elissa this is my cousin, Conall."

Putting a hand across his chest, Conall bows. "Elissa, we honour you."

I try to recall if Aren has spoken much about his family and draw a blank. "Aren, are you a Lord too?"

"No. My mother is Con's aunt, but my father is not a lord."

"No, he is..." Conall begins, but is interrupted when Aren kicks him.

Conall raises his eyebrows quizzically and there follows an unspoken interchange. He gestures to Aren and comments, "You look a bit wild, cousin. Are you trying out a new look?"

Aren rolls his eyes. "I spent several moons a captive and the last few days on the run. I have not had a chance to attend to my grooming."

Conall's blue eyes twinkle with amusement. "Point taken, but you may wish to reconsider your attire."

Aren looks down and shrugs, seemingly unabashed that he is only in his underwear.