76 - The fire within

Elissa's PoV

Music vibrates through the air and even without seeing them, I'm aware of the sensual movement of bodies on the dance floor below. It would be Easter back home and Dragonites certainly know how to put the sexy into this celebration.

The way Kai looked at me just now, I could swear he was going to throw me over his shoulder, caveman style.

My mind wanders back to earlier in the day when I woke up in a huge bed, completely naked and with no memory of how I got there. To say that I was freaked out would be an understatement. It turns out that Ishtar's fire burnt through most of my nightdress and while her flames didn't hurt me, the goddess left me a little present in the form of a tattoo just below my belly button.

I'm still finding it hard to adjust to the idea. I mean, it's not as if I had a boozy holiday at a party island or anything. Mercifully, as tattoos go, it's quite tasteful; an outline of a stylised flower with two leaves, a stem and five lotus-like petals. Apparently, each flame-like shape represents a child, which means I'm going to have eight. Breathe, Elle.

A warm hand on my knee makes me jump.

"Elissa, are you alright? You have gone very pale." Even crouched, Kai looks down on me.

"I'm not sure I can cope with having eight children." The words just tumble out.

"Do not fear, darling, it is unlikely that you will have them all at once." Seraphina laughs.

"Eight?" Kai's voice is strained.

Flames flicker in his irises and my reflection is bathed in them. He is too close, yet I am unable to look away. Is it hot in here?

"Kai." Seraphina's astringent tone cuts through the strange enchantment. He blinks and I use the opportunity to spring to my feet.

"It is time for the blessed to be matched." Seraphina glides out of the pavilion with Cade at her heels.

I follow behind her, but Kai gets to the stairs before me and blocks the way out with his massive frame. "It is not safe for you to be out there tonight." 

Overbearing, much? "And why is that?"

"Because men will fight for the chance to mate with any unattached women that were blessed by Ishtar this morning."

I pull a face. That sounds barbaric.

"Do not fret, these matches are always looked upon favourably by the goddess." Cain probably seeks to reassure me.

"Any male coming anywhere near me..." Electricity crackles at my fingertips.

"Will regret it," Kai growls.

The crowd roars beneath us and Cain says, "We should watch from the balcony."

Almost immediately I regret leaning over the balustrade. We have a prime view of the bare-chested men fighting below. However, it's not for the faint-hearted and a spray of blood has me ducking back into the pavilion, my back firmly against the wall.

Finally, Cain calls out, his voice thick with amusement, "It is safe to look, now."

He lied. I'm just in time to witness a woman running her hands over the victor. They look ready to jump each other. Then she licks his bloodied chest and unwelcome memories of Corinth bubble up. I'm determined never to be that weak.

"What is the matter?" Kai asks with a frown.

"Nero. He liked the taste of blood." My voice sounds brittle.

In a half growl, Kai insists, "He will never hurt you again."

Cain tries to lighten the atmosphere, "She gets to taste the blood and sweat that he shed in her honour and in return he will ..."