73 - A fire kindled

Kai's PoV

I was dreaming of fire, until the voice of a goddess called to me, demanding my attention.  I awaken to the vision of a delectable female.  My primal response is to call an all body flame, however, even though my fire screams for release, something is holding it back. Undeterred, I box her against the wall, one hand slipping behind her head as my mouth possesses hers.

In the background, a sound is niggling at my brain like an annoying fly. I try to ignore it, but the buzzing slowly forms into words, Kai! You must stop. You cannot let the fire control you. You cannot take the girl.

She is mine! I snarl at the intrusion.

You would ravish an innocent? An innocent whom you have been entrusted to protect? 

Recognition flickers and the voice starts to bring me back to sanity. Antares?

Ah, my friend. You are back. Good. Now I suggest that you release the princess.

Princess? Reality settling in, I manage to disentangle my lips, although it takes a monumental effort to physically push myself away from Elissa. She looks up at me with wide eyes, her lips swollen and her nightdress plastered to her body like a second skin.

I look away before I do something I will regret and get a face full of water. As soon as I stop the downpour,  my flames demand to blaze. I cannot stay in this small space with her. It is just not safe.

Irritated, both with myself and the situation, I storm out. A young Dragonite might occasionally lose control of their fire during their first battles or early intimacies, but I am a seasoned warrior.

That was rude, Kai, Antares admonishes.

It was that or risk throwing her onto the bed and not leaving the room for several days. I cannot understand what is wrong with me.

My friend, your fire has been kindled.

Do not be ridiculous. A coupling between an elf and a Dragonite is an impossibility.

Antares responds with a touch of offence in his voice, You doubt me? I am your dragon. 

This is just a momentary madness. I have a mission to complete. I force down the misplaced feelings of lust, cage my fire and return to my room.

With each step away, my limbs protest. I fall on to my bed. Everything hurts, it is as if corrosive acid is pumping through my veins. I feel as weak as a newborn.

I told you that your fire has been kindled. Fighting it is painful. Perhaps we should delay our departure.

No. I push myself off the bed and wrestle into riding leathers. Falling into the methodical task of strapping all of my weapons in place brings a modicum of relief.

Outside, I stagger to Antares, gritting my teeth against the agony. Damned be to Ishtar. Is this some cruel joke of hers?

The sky darkens and my flames surge within. I turn and there is Elissa, approaching like a brewing storm, with wild eyes and windswept hair. She is glorious and I want to bask in her wrath.

Just behind her are Cain and Cade. Perhaps they can save me. "Stop her."

Cade grabs Elissa. Blue sparks, like miniature lightning, flash around her. Cade yelps and now unhindered, Elissa strides towards me.

"I do not understand what your problem is. First you practically kiss me into next week, now you don't want me anywhere near you! Talk about whiplash."