13 - Lammas Festival

(Zane PoV)

Ribbons, all the colours of the rainbow, flutter from houses and straw wreaths adorn the doors

Ribbons, all the colours of the rainbow, flutter from houses and straw wreaths adorn the doors. Some enterprising householders have set up impromptu bars selling beverages and food from their homes. I grab a drink from one of these and lean against the wall. Hmm, shall I continue to lay low or go and meet the others?

With my height, I can see across the heads of the crowd, there is one person in particular that I do not wish to meet.

Across the square I spot a beauty in a green dress; the sun glints off the burnished red of her hair. Her eyes flash with anger when she spots me. Taking a lazy sip from my drink, I lick my lips and watch as she makes her way through the throng to me.

"Three solars!" she yells and slaps me across the face.

Rubbing my stinging cheek, I have to admit that I probably deserved that. Instinct has me sending her a smouldering look. "Have you missed me?"

She raises her hand again, but I capture her wrist before it can inflict any more damage. Undeterred, she raises her other hand, but I grab that too. "I can think of better use for those hands of yours."

Turning our bodies, I press her flush against the wall. Instead of struggling, she arches her body against mine and I feel my inner flames stir, like the wind stoking hot coals to life.

"It has been too long, Zane. Why did you not come back sooner?"

"Your brother banished me from your island," I remind her.

Releasing my grip, I slide my hands down over her curves. Now free, her hands make their way into my hair, pulling my face to hers. Our lips meet, hungry and consuming.

Pulling apart to catch her breath, she moans, "I need you now."

"Right here against this wall?" My lips and words purposely tease her ear. "My lady, I fear what that would do to your reputation."

"I was on my way to see my brother competing." She grins and grabs my hand. "Let us hurry to my hostelry, he will not bother us for hours."

.....

I manage to sneak out of the inn without any unwanted encounters and stroll back to the tent, whistling a cheerful tune.

"Hello stranger," Elissa greets me with a bright smile. "You missed the archery competition. Darish won second place."

"Well done, Darish. Sorry, I ran into an old friend and we, er, lost track of time."

"Friend?" Darish queries.

"Laurel," I mutter half under my breath.

Darish does not comment, but I espy a hint of a sly smile on his face and knowing the sarcastic so and so that he is, he is probably looking forward to watching the fallout.