57 - Politics

(Elissa's PoV)

After the encounter with Morpheus, I take a long shower before changing into a day dress. I meet up with father in the sitting room.

"I am sorry. We do not have the easiest of families," Aldebaran apologises and takes a sip of tea.

That is a bit of an understatement. When I found out I was adopted, a part of me hoped that one day I would find my family. I never imagined that my father would turn out to be an elven prince. Nor that I would have such an unconventional family.

"Well, I do not envy you having Morpheus as a father."

He chokes noisily on his beverage and I reckon that only good breeding stops him from spraying it across the room.

Once recovered, he explains, "Elissa, the king is not my father." His voice falls to a hushed tone as he goes on to impart, "Morpheus is Celestia's half brother. Their father was our enemy in the Great War. However, this is not spoken of, so please do not mention it outside these walls."

Though immensely curious, I change the conversation. "Will I get to choose who I marry?"

"I will support your wishes as far as I can. I defied conventions, although that did not end well for me. The queen will want to sanction any union and it seems that Morpheus is also set on interfering. I regret that you will be caught in the centre of elven politics."

My heart sinks and I sit in silence.

"A match with the Lords of Vega would evidently please mother. They are a noble family, strong allies and their lands are adjacent to Alfheimr. Deneb is very ambitious, although as one of her lovers is probably not the best choice. Altair is young, not long turned eighty solars I believe and you seem to have an accord with him."

I see Altair as just a friend for my heart lies with Aren, however, I can't see the queen being very supportive. My dreams for the future seems so far off. I sigh and wonder, Have I made a mistake in coming here?

Father pats my hand and tries unsuccessfully to reassure me, "You will have ample time to find a good match. You will not enter a formal union until you are at least a hundred solars."

"A hundred solars!" My voice rises and I have to calm it down. "Even if live that long, I will be rather decrepit." I can't help be plagued by a vision of myself as a 'Miss Havisham' bride.

Aldebaran's perfect brow crinkles. "You are elven royalty. You should live at least a millennium."

A thousand years! The mere thought of living that long makes me feels rather queasy.

"Does something ail you, daughter of mine?"

"I-I think I need to have a lie down."

I stumble upstairs to my room and flop down on the bed. Darish once again has impeccable timing and knocks on the door, before entering carrying a package wrapped in black paper. At the sight of me, he casts it aside and wordlessly enfolds me in his arms.

I was kind of holding it together but end up burying my face against his chest and allowing silent tears to soak into his shirt.

Stroking my hair, he asks, "What causes you such distress?"

"I left my heart in Arcadia. He is a prince, though I fear that will not be enough to impress Celestia."

"I understand your torment. Neither can I be with the one I desire."

Forgetting my own woes, I pull away and wipe my eyes. "Why not?"

Darish looks down and sadness fills the limpid wells of his eyes. "Our love is not one that is condoned by my people. Der..." He closes his eyes, shuttering away his pain. "He chose another path."