9 - Down by the lake

(Elle's PoV)

I am woken by Zane gently shaking me. Ugh, I need some coffee before I can even think about moving. I snuggle back under the blanket, but being the bully he is, he won't let me go back to sleep.

A mildly guilty look flashes on his face and he enquires, "How fares your head this morn?"

"Fine thanks. I don't suppose that you have any coffee?"

He gives me a bemused look. "Cough tea?"

Darish hands me a cup. "Have some spiced tea. It is refreshing for the soul."

I sit up and sip at the tea, which is pleasant enough, although it doesn't quite live up to its delicious scent and lacks the hit that coffee gives. At the same time I stare absentmindedly at my wrists. They are perfectly fine, only I could have sworn that the rope had cut into my skin.

The events in the dark alleyway rush back and threaten to subsume me. My breath comes in shaken rasps, but I steel myself. I refuse to be a victim.

I get up and throw my arms around Zane and have to stand on tiptoes to kiss his cheek. "Thank you so much."

Zane hugs me back, squeezing so tight that he lifts me off the floor. I hesitate for a moment when it comes to Darish, as he is so reserved, but I am so overwhelmed with gratitude that I hug him too. He pats my back rather awkwardly. Not a hugger then!

"I want to set off soon. You might want to wear those blue skinned trousers under your dress," Zane suggests.

I quickly get ready and soon we are all stood outside the large Bedouin style tent. Zane calls out a word of command. The whole thing collapses and repeatedly folds in upon itself before disappearing into an unassuming wooden box, not dissimilar to a music box.

I just stand there with a mouth wide enough to catch flies. "How? How is that possible?"

"How else would you go camping?" Zane locks the box and pockets the small ornate key, then walks towards Roth.

The dragon is of a similar size and colour to an old fashioned London double decker bus. As I am contemplating how best to get on, Darish simply bounds up a bit like Legolas and makes it look oh-so-easy. Thankfully Zane lifts me up so that I can scramble onto Roth's back leg and with his good arm, Darish takes my hand and pulls me the rest of the way up.

Roth's scales are surprisingly smooth and warm, but I don't like the look of the large ridged spikes along his spine. Zane points out a gap between spikes, "Elle, sit here. Oh, and you may wish to hold onto me."

Roth unfurls his large wings and angles them back. The muscles in his back legs bunch, like loaded springs and he launches into the air, causing my stomach to lurch. I grab onto Zane and can feel his abdominal muscles moving under my fingers as he chuckles. As Roth gains height, the town shrinks beneath us and the buildings become like dolls houses.

Zane calls over his shoulder to me, "It is safe for you to loosen your death-grip."

Roth turns in a lazy circle and heads in the direction of the rising sun. With stunning views all around, I reckon that flying on a dragon might be the way to travel. Far below us, a green river winds it's way lazily through a deep gorge.

Finally it opens out onto a large turquoise lake and without warning Roth folds his wings and plummets down, leaving my stomach behind. I scream and once again I grab hold of Zane. Just as it seems like we are about to plunge into the fast approaching water, Roth banks and gently touches down on dry land.

"You did that on purpose." I glare at Zane.

Zane smirks and jumps down effortlessly. He holds out his arms, saying he will catch me, but I sulk and insist on scrambling down by myself; admittedly it is not the most graceful descent.