26 - Fearful symmetry

(Aren's PoV)

I lie there as Elissa's hands slide over my back, I presume searching for wounds. It was not my most honourable deed, but her cry of anguish could not be faked and I am betting on it fooling them too.

She carefully turns me over and I hear her take a shaky breath then feel her hands upon my chest. I have to stop this charade, so wrap an arm around her back. She shrieks as I pull her down on top of me and open my eyes.

Those stunning emerald eyes of hers search mine. I must admit I am a little elated by the evident concern shining in them and probably like having her in my arms a little too much. Then I ruin the moment by winking.

"You..." she growls and I place a finger upon her lips. "... bastard," she finishes in an angry whisper.

My brow crinkles slightly. "I do not think my parents would appreciate you casting aspersions upon my lineage."

Now those eyes narrow at me. "Bite me."

"Do you know that, to an Animage that could be taken as an invitation?" I cannot resist teasing her and wrap my other arm around her lower back.

Evidently not amused, she hisses, "Let me go. Otherwise you will not be accepting any invitations."

She is possibly even more beautiful when angry and I find myself grinning. However, I dare not push her too much and loosen my hold. Elissa jerks free and glares at me.

I start to crawl away on hands and knees, using the trees as cover and motion for her to follow me. Our progress is torturously slow and I can feel her disapproval drilling into my back.

When we finally reach deeper cover, I stand and hold out a hand to help her up, but she pointedly ignores it.

"Elissa, please do not be angry with me."

"That was a mean trick you played back there."

"Were you worried for me?" I ask, shamelessly fishing.

"No." Her immediate response is tinged with irritation, but she is unable to maintain it. Studying the ground, a vulnerable quality enters her voice, "Yes, I thought that they had hurt you."

Placing a finger under her chin, I gently raise her face and apologise most earnestly, "I am truly sorry if I caused you anguish. They chase until their quarry falls. I wished them to believe that they had downed me."

Taking her hand, I kiss her knuckles and, not relinquishing my hold, lead her through the trees. The ground once again falls away, but this time in gentle, lush rolling hills.

"Welcome to my homeland." I feel my chest expand with jubilation. "If not for you, I might never have gazed upon it again."

......

The sight of steam rising from the large pool calls to my aching limbs. I recall happy memories of frolicking here, first as a child and then less innocently as a young man.

"I do not know about you, but I could do with a bathe," I announce.

Stripping to my braies, I sink within the water's warm embrace. Elissa remains standing on the bank.