78 - An inescapable fate

Elissa's PoV

The days have slipped by like sand in an egg timer, slow at first and then with increasing momentum until there are only a precious few hours remaining.

An intimate group of us are gathered in Seraphina's private chambers for a lavish meal. I'm not really in the mood since it feels like my last supper. However, I'm unable to subdue the effervescent Dragonites, well except for Kai, who is even more sullen than me.

It is a surprise when a messenger approaches and bows low. "Your Highness, Lord Zane wishes to converse with you."

Instantly, my heart leaps and I rise, anxious for the comfort of a familiar face.

"Come, darling, you can use my mirror."

Seraphina leads me through to an adjoining room where a large gilded mirror is hanging on one wall. At her command, its surface shimmers like a mirage and then clears to show Zane and Darish. It is the first time that I have seen them both together since that fateful autumn night. I can't believe that it was six months, or should I say moons, ago.

"Greetings, little one. You were right. He was in trouble." Zane cocks a thumb in Darish's direction. "We got to him just in time. Fools tried shooting at Roth, so he set fire to their behinds."

Despite my worries, I find myself smiling. "Where are you?"

"With my family. We will rest here tonight and then tomorrow set off to join you." Zane grins.

With the High King's army almost upon us, there is no way that they will make it to me in time. My heart stutters because I so desperately want to be reunited with them both.

Darish's eyes narrow ever so slightly. "Elissa, what is amiss?"

"I-I wish I could see you again."

I choke up, so Seraphina finishes for me. "Lucifer is demanding that she be taken to Avalon. His men will arrive here on the morrow."

"Sera!" Zane admonishes. "You cannot allow her to fall into his hands."

"I will do my best to delay things." Seraphina's gaze moves from the mirror to a figure standing in the doorway, blotting out the light from the reception room. "It is not as if Elissa can leave. The only way out of the palace is by flight."

The anguish I feel inside is reflected in my two guardian's expressions and I hold out my hand to the mirror. The surface ripples, distorting their images, so I pull it back. "Promise me that you will look out for each other."

Darish bows his head, cowed by sadness, while Zane's hands are clenched into fists. "We will not forsake you, Elissa."

When the mirror goes flat, I can't hold back the tears. To get so close to seeing them and not know if we will ever be reunited is too much to bear. Seraphina engulfs me in a massive hug. With her skimpy dress and my shorter stature, I end up with my face squished against her ample blossoms.

"I am so sorry." Seraphina kisses the top of my head and pulls away. "Kai, darling, take Elissa for a promenade. I think that she could do with some air."

I probably look a complete mess. As if reading my mind, Seraphina hands me a scented silk handkerchief before flouncing off and leaving me with Mr Broody. There is an awkward moment while I have a good blow.

Kai holds out a gentlemanly arm and I stare at it for a moment before slipping my arm through his. We wind through the palace and out onto one of the terraces. The air is heavy with the scent of orange blossom and I take a moment to inhale the delicate aroma.